Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Softorino's WALTR app for the Mac, which is designed to make it easy to upload and convert any music or video file to an iPad or iPhone, is getting its first major update today following its November 2014 release.

WALTR will help you drag and drop a wide variety of media files onto your iPad or iPhone, and it supports many different file types, including MP4, AVI, CUE, WMA, M4R, AAC, M4V, M4A, FLAC, ALAC, and MKV. Today's update brings additional formats, full subtitle support, an updated design, and more.

waltr-800x532.jpg
New formats that are now supported include LV, M2TS, TS (experimental), DV, MPG, MPEG, MPE, MPEG(old types), and WEBM for video and M4B, AIFF, WAV, OGG, OGA, WV, TTA, and DFF for audio. It also supports subtitles in .SRT and .ASS formats.

For those unfamiliar with WALTR, it's incredibly easy to use. You simply plug in your iPad or iPhone to your Mac, turn off iTunes, and drag any media file onto the Mac app. From there, the file is converted and uploaded to your device within minutes, plus it's placed into the proper Music or Video app.

waltr3-800x500.jpg
WALTR can be downloaded from the Softorino website for free. The software includes a 14-day free trial, after which a single license can be purchased for $29.95.

To celebrate today's update, Softorino is giving away 15 copies of WALTR to MacRumors readers. To enter to win, use the Rafflecopter widget below. You can earn additional entries by subscribing to our weekly newsletter, subscribing to our YouTube Channel, following us on Twitter, or visiting the MacRumors Facebook page. Due to the intricacies of international law regarding giveaways, this giveaway is open only to U.S. residents who are 18 years of age or older.

The giveaway will run from today, Thursday, April 9 at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time through Monday, April 13 at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time. Winners will be chosen randomly on April 13 and will be contacted through email. A response to our email is required within 48 hours or the winner will forfeit the prize and we will pick a new winner.

Article Link: 'WALTR' for Mac Gains Support for Subtitles and Transferring New Audio, Video Formats to iOS Devices

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

I guess they meant 16th?

Seems like some cool software to have. $30 is a bit steep, but I could see myself paying that much if I ever needed to transfer a lot of files (enough files that it would take me an hour or more of handholding iTunes through the process.)

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Another competition only open to US residents - for why?

What part of this competition involves any form of transfer that costs more money to a different country than it does to US-only? This is the age of the internet, for goodness' sake.

'Intricacies of international law' And yet thousands of other websites manage it just fine...

Anyway, WALTR is good software and congrats if you win this because it's worth having.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012

I guess they meant 16th?

Seems like some cool software to have. $30 is a bit steep, but I could see myself paying that much if I ever needed to transfer a lot of files (enough files that it would take me an hour or more of handholding iTunes through the process.)

Sorry about that, that text was taken from another giveaway and I missed a date update. I'll send emails to winners on April 13, and codes shortly after.

jephrey

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2005
I suppose it's nice to do all audio and video in one place but will it tag too?
I use a combination of xACT and Handbrake. Tag with subler for movies, tag in iTunes for music. The "automatically add to iTunes" folder is drag/drop after the conversion and/or tagging are done and if your phone/pad syncs over the air, you just have to drop the music/movies into a sync'd playlist.

I suppose I'm used to controlling my content with sync'd playlists and don't have the desire to get media files on my phone "faster" and outside of iTunes. I can understand others wanting this if they're not too savvy or don't care about maintaining a library.

Rare455

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2014
Chicago, IL
I suppose it's nice to do all audio and video in one place but will it tag too?
I use a combination of xACT and Handbrake. Tag with subler for movies, tag in iTunes for music. The "automatically add to iTunes" folder is drag/drop after the conversion and/or tagging are done and if your phone/pad syncs over the air, you just have to drop the music/movies into a sync'd playlist.

I suppose I'm used to controlling my content with sync'd playlists and don't have the desire to get media files on my phone "faster" and outside of iTunes. I can understand others wanting this if they're not too savvy or don't care about maintaining a library.

Yes, If you want to have more managing control of the media library, there are better solutions. But WALTR is good for the every day situations. Let's say your getting ready for a trip, and you want to put some movies and songs on the device – do you really have the time to think about the proper file format, need of 3rd party iOS apps and so on ?? ;)

It's pretty convenient to just open an app and drop 2 music albums, 4 movies, a few tv shows, and a new ringtone – all at once and not have to worry if it's in the proper format for iOS playback.

Bigsk8r

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Austin, Texas
Yes, If you want to have more managing control of the media library, there are better solutions. But WALTR is good for the every day situations. Let's say your getting ready for a trip, and you want to put some movies and songs on the device – do you really have the time to think about the proper file format, need of 3rd party iOS apps and so on ?? ;)

It's pretty convenient to just open an app and drop 2 music albums, 4 movies, a few tv shows, and a new ringtone – all at once and not have to worry if it's in the proper format for iOS playback.

Nice. I may have to give this a spin in the near future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.