Want 2 know if I still need Leopard DVD after vanilla install without restart?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by `mishimasan`, Sep 10, 2009.

1. `mishimasan` macrumors newbie

Basically, I installed Leopard on a Macbook Pro that I'd just given a new HD. What I didn't realize was that there was also an issue with the thermal grease (or excessive thermal grease as it turned out) so when I installed Leopard after replacing the HD, the thing got so hot that even though it successfully installed the OS, when I tried to restart it I couldn't.

Since I was borrowing the DVD I gave it back and since I've replaced the thermal grease thereby fixing the overheating issue.

When I start up the Macbook Pro now, I get the Welcome screen movie with all the languages floating past in space, but then I get a blank black screen with a mouse pointer that ends up taking me nowhere.

In Windows, you normally should keep the DVD in the drive after installing from DOS since the installation program still needs more information from it.

Is this the case with Leopard? Should I ask for the DVD back again?

Thanks for the support in advance.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

You borrowed the DVD from a friend? That means you dont have a legal copy of Leopard. That's piracy and you should get no help here.

3. `mishimasan` thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I believe that Leopard DVD you borrowed was only meant to be installed on the machine it was shipped with.

5. `mishimasan` thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Richard,

So is that the reason why it's not working? Would I need to buy a brand new installation of Leopard?

Thanks

6. reubs macrumors 68000

Unless you're dealing with a Power PC processor, go to Best Buy, come off $29, and walk out with a copy of Snow Leopard. Things should clear up from there.

7. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

8. `mishimasan` thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks for the help guys. I got a copy of Snow Leopard online. Don't know why I didn't just do that in the first place.

Take care.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

a copy of snow leopard online? In other words a pirated copy.