Want 512gb but maybe not 2.6ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by appleguy123, Jun 22, 2012.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I don't need the 2.6 processor, but I do need 512gb of storage. Does the processor with the higher clock speed get worse battery life? If so, what do you think the cost of the 512gb SSD will be when it is made by a third party?

2. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

I got around 8 hours of a mix Wi-Fi browsing and movie watching on my 2.6 yesterday. I wouldn't worry about battery life.

The 480GB OWC Mercury Pro for the MacBook Air (2010-2011) is listed at $794.99 for the 6G model (up to 500MB/s read like the SSDs in the new MacBook Air and Pro), so I would expect it to be priced similarly. For reference, the difference between the 2.3/256 and 2.6/512 models is $600.

You could probably sell your 256 SSD for a bit to offset the cost, but even if you manage to sell it for more than $200 to offset the difference in price, you still wouldn't have the slightly faster processor and your warranty would likely be voided.

3. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I like to use my computers at max brightness, so battery life is very important to me. Does anyone know by how many percentage points the better processor degrades the battery?

4. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

I was using it at around 75% of max brightness if it matters.

You cannot just compare power consumption using percentages when it comes to processors- a faster processor might draw more power than a slower processor, but the faster processor can complete tasks faster and return to idle quicker so at the end of the day, depending on what you do, it might actually equate to similar battery life.

5. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

It's really good to know that you got such great battery life with the brightness up. When I buy this computer, that SSD will be a great size improvement from my 256gb MBA.

Are these in the Apple Stores? What's the fastest way to get one? I'm not interested in 16gb of ram.

6. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Well, actually you could take two processors side-by-side and run Prime95 on them until the battery is depleted. That would give you a pretty accurate percentage of how the CPU's at max load wear the battery.

To the OP, no, I don't believe that anyone has done any tests like that.

7. TheMacBookPro, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012

TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

As of right now:

[​IMG]

(Safari, Mail, iTunes running, 2 notches below max brightness, 96% and ~7 hours estimated)

Not sure how it is over in the US but here in Hong Kong, the local Apple Store does not have stock, but several Authorized Resellers have stock in the morning when deliveries arrive. I'd call your local Apple Store and some resellers and see if any stores have some in-stock, or are expecting a delivery soon.

MacMall also show the 2.6/512 model being in stock right now, so you could also order through them. You might even save a few bucks in tax, depending on which state you're in.

2.3/256 (ships in 3-4 weeks) : http://www.macmall.com/p/Apple-MacBook-Pro/product~dpno~9232232~pdp.hgcijcg
    2.6/512 (usually ships the same business day): http://www.macmall.com/p/Apple-MacBook-Pro/product~dpno~9232233~pdp.hgcijch

But that doesn't reflect actual battery life. Very few people if any use the CPU maxed out 100% of the time. You'd get a percentage difference, but it would be a useless number IRL.

8. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

My dad works for FedEx freight, and he told me that my Apple Store just receive 36,000 lbs of notebooks. I hope that some of those were retina models. Time to sell the MacBook air!

Also, does anyone know how much hotter the 2.6 gets?