Want a fresh install on iPad 3 but keep my iPad 1 saves

Discussion in 'iPad' started by snowmaan, Mar 22, 2012.

1. snowmaan macrumors regular

I have an iPad 1, got my iPad 3 today, and will give the 1 to the wife once it's factory reset - tonight hopefully

I have 5-6 games i want my saved games moved to the iPad 3 but I don't want to muddy the shiny new iPad 3 with a restoration from an iPad 1

So what are the best options here, surely others are in the same boat
    gamecentre, OpenFeint, iCloud, etc?
    iCloud does my head in though, need to read how to use it, but don't rate it so far

I want that nice new, clean iPad 3 install image from day one, but don't want to go and redo all the hard work on great games such as:

- Infinity Blade
    - Silversword
    - Galaxy on Fire 2
    - Backstab
    - Carnivores

I think the rest I can do from scratch

Will put this under a new thread as well, as cant find a definitive answer here

2. Defender2010, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012

Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

You can't unless you restore from the iPad 1 backup. Game centre , Openfeint etc only record scores, not progress through a game.

3. snowmaan thread starter macrumors regular

Oh that's bad news, bugger

I heard about a few programs such as phone disc and iPhone explorer

I have iPhone explorer installed already, which is free but phone disc costs $19.95

Phone disc apparently allows you to mount both iPads and review the file structure of big devices where you can see the save game data file in the original device and simply copy it across to the one without the files (perhaps a new iPad with a fresh image where u just installed a game fresh for example)

How about this option, any thoughts?
    If I can find a better way to do it, I might just buy phone disc which sounds good, an will share the results up here, to hopefully help others, but am also hopeful of a simpler way I guess

4. cfs macrumors 6502a

Just manually delete all the apps on your iPad except the ones you mentioned above and then do a backup. Then plug your new iPad in and restore form your latest backup. I never tried this but have no idea why it wouldnt work.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It's not like a regular computer install where it swaps old files for new, or only edits old files. You are starting from a fresh OS whether you set up as new or with an existing backup. All the backup data is is your preferences. It's like a order form for your iPad and then your computer grabs the original app files and loads them in. So there is no advantage to setting up new vs a backup file.

6. Megagator macrumors regular

Megagator

I know exactly what you want. I've done this several times and it will usually work. You'll want iExplorer (http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/).
    Then, plug in the original iPad, and make sure it is ejected from iTunes. Then open iExplorer and browse the "Apps" tab until you find the game you want. Simply copy out the Documents and Library folders in each app and save them somewhere safe. Then after setting up the new iPad and installing the apps you have saved data for, preform the reverse process and copy over the existing data with your saved data. You'll probably need to confirm all the overwrites but it shouldn't take too long.

7. bobobenobi macrumors regular

There's no such thing! This isn't a Windows 98 machine you're using.

8. snowmaan thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Megagator will give that a shot, been trying with demo versions of phoneview and phone disk

On the restore from comments: thanks for that
    I also have hundreds of apps which have crept onto the old ipad, so taking all that across, plus possibly mail files etc is probably something I don't want to do

Ok, I get it wont mix it up like a bad win 98 upgrade, but it's also more about a fresh start

Mind you, I have had better performance on my ipad 1 after a clean wipe and reinstall in the past, of just the apps I wanted to keep so tied this kind of result loosely to this scenario

9. bobobenobi macrumors regular

I believe that you think you had better performance. The number of apps has no bearing whatsoever on the performance of the device.

10. dustinl4m3 macrumors regular

11. doboy macrumors 68000

Does it work with the new iPad?

12. stephg macrumors member

stephg

Thank you so much for posting this! This worked great with transferring files from iPad 1 to my new iPad. Now I don't have to start Angry Birds all over again...yeah, I know it's not that important, but it's nice to have a solution to this as I have been trying to figure out the same thing!

13. snowmaan thread starter macrumors regular

Yes agreed, thanks obviously to the person who posted that, will try that today
    This is such a big thing for all those upgrading, got several mates who are in the same boat, so good to see we are getting comments and suggestions

14. djmodifyd macrumors regular