Want a new MBP with Lion — Refurb or Education Discount?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by steelphantom, Jul 16, 2011.

1. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

I'm finally going to replace my aging iBook G4 with a new 13" MacBook Pro. I'm eligible for the Education discount at $1099, but I can get the same MBP as a refurb for $1019. I know I get the $100 to use at the app store/iTunes store, etc. but I feel like I'd rather have $80 left in my pocket than $100 to blow on music or apps.

Anyway, to my questions: I want Lion, so if I bought a refurb now, would I be eligible for a free Lion upgrade when it comes out? Even if I waited until it is available to purchase a refurb MBP, will it come with Lion? And finally, what is the quality on the refurbs? Are they indistinguishable from a new machine?

Thanks for your help. I've been out of the Mac loop for a while, but my iBook G4 is still going strong! Running OS X 10.4 Tiger and rocking Camino as my browser of choice. Man, I'm so 2005... :p

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Apple hasn't said, but if Lion up to date works like it did for Snow Leopard, then yes, certain refurbished machines (those that can handle the OS) will be eligible for the Lion up to date program.

Either wait a week or 2 for Lion to formally release, or buy your laptop now and go here http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/ later to get the update.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'll add to that the observation that the quality on refurbs is indistinguishable from new, (apart from, that is, the box they come in). In fact, if anything, the quality on refurbs may be better as each will have been individually tested and tried before being released as a refurb. They come with exactly the same warranties and guarantees as a brand new computer.

Cheers

4. ShamrockSolace macrumors member

Go with Educational Discount. Price break and you would have been the only owner. Who knows what the previous owner did to it.

5. steelphantom thread starter macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

Glad to know the refurb quality is that good. I think I'll just wait until Lion comes out. Should be within the next week or two. If I've already waited six years, what's another two weeks? :D

6. somology macrumors newbie

Go refurb - great 1st year warranty

I went refurb within one year of a new MBP release. When it died, my Apple Store swapped it for a new out of box, same config.

They have also replaced my power adapter and other things for free in the first 6 months. (I am hard on my MBP 17 i7 2.66)

For my iPad1 I bought last year, they swapped it this year for a refurb when the memory went bad.

Spend the money on AppleCare. Either repairs would have cost me over $400+