Want an iPhone 5? Sell Your Old iPhone Now

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Poob Bubes, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Poob Bubes macrumors 6502a

Poob Bubes

Just read this on Mashable: Want an iPhone 5? Sell Your Old iPhone Now

I know lots of people on here have first hand experience on the subject so I wanted to see how many people agree with the article. I plan on trading in my Verizon 4s 32Gb to Amazon. The offer right now is $455. I'm not sure if I should go ahead and do it or if it would be okay to wait a couple more weeks. Any thoughts?

2. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

What are the chances you'll be able to get the new iPhone over Amazon upon release?

Amazon is offering $500, it's very tempting... But then I'll be going without a smart phone for weeks!

3. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

The 50 or so bucks that I would gain from selling now is not worth it to me.

4. asr10 user macrumors regular

Do it ASAP. I got rid of my unlocked 32gb 4 for $350, and think I did pretty good. I went ahead and got an S3 for $400 and did very good.

5. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

What?

The man is talking about selling to get an iPhone 5... How is buying a S3 for $400 is going to achieve that goal? That S3 will lose value faster than the 4/4S.

If anything I'll use a garbage flip phone until the next iPhone comes out; but even that will be extremely painful and uncomfortable.

6. Poob Bubes thread starter macrumors 6502a

Poob Bubes

Well I don't plan on buying the new iPhone from Amazon. I just buy so much exclusively from them that a $455 gift card from them is as good as cash to me.

As for going without a phone, it just so happens that we had a user on our corporate Verizon plan drop his iPhone 4 not too long ago so it's just been sitting in my office waiting for activation :) (I can live with a cracked screen for a month or so).

7. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

It's already too late to get the maximum value. While personally I keep mine as a spare, a good friend always sells his in advance. He chose to sell it about five weeks ago, and said that since then the prices have declined significantly.

Apparently the moment the announcement, (not even the date) is made that a new model is about to be released, that's the time to get rid of your phone.

8. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

Noob panic. Sell when you're ready and you'll get whatever you want for your iphone. Please.

9. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Those days are over. It's a more competitive market now. iPhones still command decent pricing, but it's not like it used to be. There's far more choices in smart phones than just a few short years ago.

10. Poob Bubes thread starter macrumors 6502a

Poob Bubes

Well I'm not worried about getting the maximum value before now. I know obviously the value has been declining. My comfort zone with using a substitute is about a month, so my main concern is how much that $455 offer would decrease in a couple of weeks? If it's only $10-15 that's not a big deal, but $50 or so and I would go ahead and sell now. (I know no one knows for sure but I like reading opinions and speculation) :)

11. batting1000 macrumors 604

I sell mine after the announcements and still get 400 - 450 for them.

12. Jasper84 macrumors regular

Not bad they offered me $500 for my unlocked at&t 4s not bad considering I bought it new for $600 I'm gonna hang on to my 4s for a while and upgrade when there's a jb for iPhone 5 iOS 6 I had forgot about amazon trade in

13. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I like my iPhone 4S too much to put it in unknown hands.

14. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

I have an ATT iphone 4s 64GB. wonder how much mine would go for. Oh and its ios beta . Apple dev acct

15. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

My fiancée sold her iPhone 4 about a month and a half ago and got £235, I got a quote to sell mine yesterday from T-Mobile and they are now only offering £180 so it looks like the price drop has already started over here in the UK.

Rookie

16. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Despite many people's denial, the prices have dropped here in the US as well. Some people will learn that the hard way. If it wasn't a fact I have no reason to post it, I have nothing to gain either way :)

17. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

4s 64GB = $550 in my area. Beta iOS wont increase your sell value, sorry.

18. Poob Bubes thread starter macrumors 6502a

Poob Bubes

Well I went ahead and pulled the trigger and got my shipping label. It has to be shipped within 7 days. I just hope they agree with me that it is in "Like New" condition. It should be since I just got an Applecare replacement less than 2 months ago.

19. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Prices also rebound after about a month from the announcement date. So those who are trying to get a better value (not max) should just wait till after the announcement as well I think.

But I do agree that the prices have been dropping these days. The iPhone market is saturated to the point where prices aren't as high as they were.

20. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

I sold my 4 16gb to a family member when the 4s was announced and ordered.

I sold it for £300 as it was the going rate at the time, then prices went back up on ebay etc to about £350+

Although through ebay/PayPal there would be fees that wipe out that higher sale price.

21. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I'm not going to sell it, I'm going to pass it on, and I'm going to use mine until the day that I have my new iPhone in my hands.

I don't know how people can deal with going to a flip phone for months on end, when you're running a business, and needing to get work done, waiting for a new iPhone.

22. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

No one have said that price hasn't dropped generally.

23. swoosh0217 macrumors 6502a

swoosh0217

I plan on keeping my 4S 32GB factory unlock and ill be buying the factory unlock new iphone as well.

24. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

If my iPhone was a business phone (which would mean work paid for it) then I wouldn't give a crap about the value going down because I'm not taking the hit, work are BUT like most people out there that this thread is aimed at, its not a business phone and in fact their own phone so they are more willing to make do for "x" amount of months with a subpar handset if it means they have a few more £££ to put towards their new handset.... Just the way I see it anyway.

Rookie

25. chisasba macrumors member

For my AT&T 16GB 4S it's said $410 on Amazon for a couple months, I check often. I sold my 4 last year a couple hours after it was announced, I think the month before the announcement it was about $80 more than I got. It didn't drop in price until the next day and then it was only about $40 less than I got.