Want Apple Watch Cellular...but....the lack of carrier is annoying

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by linkgx1, Oct 22, 2018.

1. linkgx1 macrumors 68000

I'm so close to getting the Series 4 LTE. But the biggest roadblock is me switching carriers. ATT is entirely too much for what i get so I'm thinking of going down to Cricket. Only issue is that Cricket doesn't have Apple Watch support. T-Mobile is the other option, but it's exhausting to think of every single hoop. Can't just get an Apple Watch and go, you gotta make sure you're with the Big 4 and then pay $10/mo for it....meh.

2. Closingracer macrumors 68040

Honestly why not buy a gps model first and try it out for 14-45 days ( depending on loyalty level and purchase location) and see if you even need LTE ? This way you can debate while you try to figure it out.

On the flip side why not just buy a series 4 LTE and just use it ? You can always add it onto a plan later

3. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

I don't understand what all these exhaustive hoops are. You go into the T-Mobile store, they will do everything for you--sell you the watch, port your existing number over from AT&T, getting you a new sim, getting it all up and running, etc.

The only hiccup I can think of is if you have a carrier locked phone, you'll have to fill out the AT&T web form to unlock it first (or you can get a new phone of course).

4. srshaw macrumors 6502

I had to switch carrier in the uk for something more expensive. I guess that's the way it is with such limited support. I'm not really sure how useful the cellular support will be for me since I normally have my phone, but I'll see.

5. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

anthonymoody

Well, for me...family of 4, 4 phones, free in home micro cell.

6. Porterhouse macrumors 6502

Porterhouse

I have an in home microcell as well. I'm curious--how would that make a difference with your watch? Are you saying the watch would connect to that if you change the settings?

7. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

anthonymoody

I was referring to the PITA factor for changing carriers in order to achieve a lower price on the watch service.

Does TMo offer free micro cells? I need it in my house for ATT and definitely would for TMo.

8. bigfatipod macrumors regular

Can you use wifi calling for your phone? I don't know if that helps at all with the watch, but it's how I went from ATT to Cricket (and its gone very well).

9. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Last I checked you have to pay a deposit and you get 100% of the deposit back when you stop using the device and return it to T-Mobile. But things change all the time so it would be best to check.

10. Porterhouse macrumors 6502

Porterhouse

I can't speak for everyone. But a few years ago I had a hard time with dropping calls. I take care of my father who's had some health issues, and I relayed my concern over not getting in touch with him to TPTB. Since we were a few miles away from the nearest tower, we got one for free. I've heard similar stories.

That was with AT&T, but it was a few years ago.

11. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

TMobile is great their prices included taxes so $10 actually is $10 same as with their other plans.

12. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

anthonymoody

I've found wifi calling to perform pretty badly, so I wouldn't want to do without a microcell.

Thanks. Maybe I'll look into it as the plans are definitely cheaper and the international features/pricing better as well.

Yes my ATT microcell was also free due to poor local coverage.

13. jsavvy macrumors member

jsavvy

Are you using a GPS watch with an iPhone on Cricket? I’m curious about the watch experience, especially WiFi calling, and the limitations that Cricket has.

14. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

For what it's worth, T-Mobile has a pretty good Wi-Fi calling set up.
    They also support Wi-Fi calling on iCloud devices, so you can answer a call from an iPad or Mac if your iPhone is off. I've used it on my Wi-Fi only Apple Watch a few times in a pinch at home.

The only issue I have is the calls will drop if I'm on my iPhone at home using Wi-Fi calling and then leave my house. Even with my (relatively) new iPhone X the phone doesn't handle the transition from Wi-Fi to cellular. I'm not sure if the is a T-Mobile issue, an Apple issue, or a limitation of the technology to be honest.

15. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

I was forced to get cellular because I wanted stainless, I can’t argue tho because I wanted that build quality. I’m not going to use the cellular functionality tho.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I've has a s3 since launch and I honestly don't think it's worth the $10 a month. I got it for running and I am stuck with Apple Music. In looking st hopping to cricket and going without the cellular capabilities of the watch. On four lines we will save $43 a month on just the lines and of course the $10 on the watch but will be giving up thatch service.

As an aside, the reception on the watch is much worse than the phone. I typically get 2-3 bars in my house with my phone and no signal to one on the watch. Unsure if that's hardware related or what, but it seems pretty typical. I'm guessing it just doesn't have the battery to support the stronger signal, and this all may be different with the s4.

At the end of the day I won't nissnlosijg the cellular connectivity. Thiguh in unsure if I'll be able to make emergency calls. That was certainly a bonus added peace of mind.

17. BillGates1969 macrumors 6502

BillGates1969

FWIW, I have it activated on my S4 and did have on my S3. I am in the UK and it is only £5 all in a month. As my iPhone is SIM only (I always buy it from Apple) my whole plan is £23/month for 30GB data, unlimited calls & texts. For me that is acceptable for the phone/watch. If I was over the other side of the pond, I am seeing costs of $12-15 PLUS taxes...no way. Just not worth it.

For the cost of a nice Starbucks every month it is worth it in the UK IMO.

18. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Reception on Series 4 has been reported to be improved over Series 3.

By the way, Cricket has speed caps and other drawbacks: https://www.toptenreviews.com/mobile/phones/best-cell-phone-providers/cricket-review/

19. alunjunkinsuk macrumors newbie

alunjunkinsuk

I had to switch carriers but I did discover this is not an Apple enforced issue here. The other two networks just cannot support esim and two devices on one number . Their back ends won’t support it .

20. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I'm aware of the speed caps. I get about 3 megabit in my house on TMobile and use it just fine. They also thrttole the same way nearly everyone else does with video; 1.5 megabit. If I'm unhappy with them I can just move back to TMobile as a new customer after 30 days and get it on deals they're refusing me since they're trying to get in new customers. Seems like a dumb policy but whatever. I have very little to lose; we bought our sims for $3 a piece, so it's literally a $12 test run of the service.

That's good the s4 has better cellular reception. The s3 is really unimpressive to me.