Want out of your AT&T contract without an ETF? Act fact!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JoshGlzBrk, Jun 27, 2013.

1. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

So I have been on AT&T since 2009, and I've had their unlimited data plan since then. Unfortunately they throttle unlimited users after 5GB of data usage, and don't allow you to even tether officially with your phone. So for the past couple weeks or so I was looking into switching over to Verizon on the condition that I could acquire one of their unlimited data plans, which of course are not throttled on their LTE network, and includes the option for unlimited LTE tethering. Unlimited verizon data plans are sold on eBay and other websites for $150-$400, where you completely take over that line's contract. I was lucky enough to find a friend who was getting rid of their verizon service who just happened to have unlimited data so I bought it from him instead of some shady eBay seller. Please keep in mind if you're looking into this that this process is via AOL (assumption of liability) and can only be done over the AOL phone department. Stores can no longer transfer unlimited data features when transferring ownership of lines.

Now, all three of the phone lines that were still with AT&T were only 8 months into their contracts, so the ETF was going to approach at least $1,000. And that really wasn't something I was looking forward to pay. So I emailed the CEO's email address with a complaint about their recently introduced a new administrative fee for $0.61 per month, and complaining about that fee and how I only chose at&t because they didn't have these stupid fees at the time, I got an email response with contact information for their "Customer Appeals Manager, Executive Response". I finally got ahold of the chick behind the email, and I didn't even have to do any explaining beyond what was said in my original email. She said she had "spoken to the legal department" and wen't ahead and waived all three ETFs on my account.

I assume anyone would be able to get out of the ETFs if you use this method, but I'm going to assume that you only have a limited amount of time to do this before the fees have been around long enough that they won't take it as an excuse to get out of your ETF.

So if you're wanting to ditch AT&T while still in contract, you have a pretty good chance to leave without paying any of the ETFs if you act fast.

2. Caesars macrumors regular

This will def work, I thought you had to do it by the end of may though. Either way this was a for sure way out, a blessing for many people stuck onto the overpriced contract company.

3. dave420 macrumors 65816

I think you have 30 days after they mail out the first bill with the change. Depending on the day you get your bill you may have a day or two left. If you are a little bit too late it might still be worth a try.

I called telling them I was thinking of cancelling because of the new charge and they offered $200 off my bill over the next 6 months. The 61 cent charge is around $72 for the next two years for five lines.

The representative I talked to claimed to not even know about the fee, and was surprised when going through my bills that it hadn't been there the month before.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This was pretty well known but like someone else said, I thought there was a cut off. It's good that the "chick" :rolleyes: allowed you to break the contracts you agreed to over that .61¢ fee. Those pesky contracts ...

Also, you found a way to get all 3 phones on VZW with unlimited data? It doesn't sound like it but I could be wrong. I got lost in the ramble.

----------

Yup! A blessing! He is out of AT&T and onto VZW ... and equally over-priced contract!

5. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Just tried this. I just ported out my 3 lines to TMob last week. So I called, and very politely, but adamantly, relayed my position that I was unhappy with the concept of the new Admin Fee, and that I moved my lines away from AT&T as a result. After going through 3 different reps (one of who hung up on me), and then on a district manager type person, I was told, "Sorry. This is not a reason to have ETF's waived. It says in the customer agreement you signed that we could raise rates, fees, etc at AT&T's discretion any time during the agreement. The contract and the ETF's are separate entities from the Customer Agreement that you signed. Therefore, there's nothing I can do for you. If you still had the lines in place, I could have offered you a credit to help cover the Admin fees, but since you left already, I cannot offer you anything. I'm sorry." I even tried to back down a bit and say that I don't expect to have all my ETF's waived, but just part, as I view having to move my lines away as part my decision, but part thier decision to add this fee in this manner, instead of waiting until it was time to renew the customer agreement when I take out a contract next. They still didn't budge.

I did some more digging, and it seems they've been getting more and more of these type of calls, and are taking a much harder stance on this. I might still try emailing the CEO as the OP mentioned to see what happens, but I think there is a very small percent chance anything will come of this.

6. phirstube macrumors regular

phirstube

7. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

I think that cut off period is over now. Whoever you spoke with did you a huge favor. For majority of individuals it will not be that easy. I imagine it depends on whoever you speak with...

8. hnic247 macrumors member

hnic247

9. JoshGlzBrk thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

The email is randall.stephenson@att.com

I emailed on Saturday got a response on Tuesday, got them waived on Thursday.

For the guy who posted about calling, I would definitely try the email method.

10. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

lol. it's like 7 dollars a year. big difference when you have millions of subscribers though.

11. CaptHenryMorgan, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013

CaptHenryMorgan macrumors regular

Have...have you ever been throttled? I use far more than 5GB data on my AT&T phone several months out of the year and I've never been throttled...and I can tether just fine through a simple Jailbreak.

That being said, I used the administrative fee to attempt to cancel an added line only to discover that AT&T had no record of a line that I had added to my account in order to get the iPhone 5 at "new customer" price. They figured the added line was an error, credited me $240 for the additional costs from my individual line over the past several months, and completely ignored the fact that I got a full upgrade on the iPhone 5. Great customer service during that interaction too!

So, still with AT&T, still got my unlimited data, got an iPhone 5 for $450 off unlocked price at launch, got AT&T to unlock it, and still can buy the iPhone 5S at full discount eligibility if it came out yesterday.

12. Caesars macrumors regular

If you were still within cutoff time, I believe it would have been better to have notified them first.

13. JoshGlzBrk thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Yea, they throttled me everytime I reached 5GB. LTE and 3G get throttled to the same 0.5Mb/0.5Mb. Also got a tethering email as well as a physical letter (lol) just the other day.

I'm happy with my verizon unlimited plan now that I don't have to pay three ETFs. Now I just need to sell my at&t iphone 5, 4s, and 4 to make up the costs for the new phones and then some.

14. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Doesn't matter. This Admin Fee is not a "material increase", and therefore they are not honoring any cancelation of EFTs. There is nothing to notify them first on.

15. Caesars macrumors regular

They must have cracked down, many of my AT&T friends made the plunge to tmobile etf free cause of this.

16. coolwierdo macrumors member

when is the cut off time for this? im sick of ATT i pay extremely way too much for less service! of course i have unlimited data and 450 min but i can get that at tmo for less than 114 a month

17. phirstube macrumors regular

phirstube

Well they responded and offerend me out of my ETF. Now I am not sure what carrier to choose. I am look at Pay as you Go plans and it looks like virgin mobile will not let you bring your own device. I guess Straight Talk and TMobile are my only options. Thoughts? I guess it has to be a GSM network.

18. mkonji, Jul 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2013

mkonji macrumors newbie

where can I see the 0.61 cents charge on bill?

is it still possible to do this process now or is it too late?
    I also have very bad service and don't receive calls at home and can't hear well, I talked to them about this, they tried to solve it, but it's still the same.....I spoke to 'case manager' and he was very rude and said I cannot waive etf based on bad service because it is in the contract that they are not guaranteeing service all the time and everywhere!! they charge almost double than other companies and don't care if they provide service or not....I really need to get out of the contract, have 3 lines, the etf would be too high.