Want Swan M10s, but can't get them. What are the alternatives?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SpookTheHamster, Oct 12, 2009.

1. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I've read so much about Swan M10s that I'm absolutely dying for some, but there doesn't seem to be any distributor for them in the UK.

Can anybody recommend something in the same price range with comparable sound quality?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

A very very very simple google search will reveal that you can get them at The Audio Insider. While right now they're taking pre-orders for their next shipment, you will eventually get them. I actually picked mine up here from someone who was thinking they'd sell theirs 4 months ago.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

There was a user who is in the UK who found a store that sold them. I looked around for the thread for a couple minutes but could not find it. The user indicated that after contacting theaudioinsder, they don't ship internationally.

Here is the thread.

4. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

Never knew that Reno, NV was a UK address.

5. SpookTheHamster thread starter macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Also, no option to sign up a UK address.

Well done Jessica. Not only were you a bit of a dick about it, but you were also wrong.

Thegoldenmackid: I saw that thread earlier when I searched. I sent the OP of the thread a PM, but have yet to receive a response.

6. SpookTheHamster thread starter macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

This thread didn't go exactly how I'd planned, so I'll give it another go.

I will spend up to £100 ($150) on a good set of 2.1 speakers, and sadly the Swans are out of the question unless somebody knows of a shop selling a 230V set.

7. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Unless TheAudioInsider changed their policy, as of about two weeks ago they were not shipping to the UK.

9. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Oh, I missed that part. They really are only available on that site. I've never seen them on ebay either.

10. SpookTheHamster thread starter macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I'm pretty much resigned to not getting the Swans, so is there ANYTHING that compares?

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

As I recall the German distributor will ship to the UK. Read that somewhere, worth checking out.

12. SpookTheHamster thread starter macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I'm already exploring that avenue. Thanks though.

13. SpookTheHamster thread starter macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

The 230V M10s are WAY too expensive: €148 ($222)! Over double the cost of the 110V speakers. That's before you even add shipping!

Right, I need a different option.

14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Out of curiosity, where you can purchase them?

15. SpookTheHamster thread starter macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Germany

Goldenmackid, you seem to be in all the speaker related discussions. What are my other options?

16. TheOnlyJon macrumors 6502a

TheOnlyJon

It really depends on what mode of speakers you're looking for...

• 2.1, 3.1, or 5.1 Surround sound?
    • 2.0 Studio/bookshelf monitors?
    • 2.0 monitors with a dedicated subwoofer?

I spent about two months researching speakers trying to find the best ones in the $100.00 range - I settled upon the M10's as well but ended up with the D1080MkII's as they had run out of stock and I didn't want to wait the five weeks.

If you're thinking 2.1, I would go with the Klipch ProMedia's. They're somewhat pricey, but they sound fantastic. Reviews are quite comparable to the M10's, but having heard both, I think the ProMedia's have the edge in bass reproduction.

If you're thinking desktop 5.1's and have no price constraints, go with the Logitech Z-5500's. On a more financially-realistic note, the Logitech Z-5300's and 2300's have stunning ratings as well albeit without the THX rating slapped on them like the 5500's.

Bookshelf monitors, like mine, are capable of producing unparalleled sound, especially those with tri-amping (dedicated amp for tweeter, mid, and sub). The 'black-speakers-with-yellow-drivers' that a percentage of people have here on MR are made by KRK and are unreal in terms of sound and are found in many video and audio post-production studios.

A word about monitors, however. You'll lose the bass you can expect to hear on an X.1 system. Monitors are made for outstanding high, mid, and low-mid range because these are the most audible ranges to the human ear. That's why they're used in production studios - they aim for clarity first and add the punch later. Mine throw out plenty of bass, but not as much (or as far-reaching) as a system with a dedicated subwoofer. I'm considering getting one myself to achieve that extra bump.

Anywho, just a few suggestions and questions you should ask yourself before getting your feet wet. :)

17. SpookTheHamster thread starter macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I wouldn't want any more than 2 speakers and (maybe) a sub. I could definitely live without a sub, as I'm more concerned with clarity than massive booming bass. That's why I'd probably like to avoid most speakers that are marketed as computer speakers.

I know the characteristics of the different sorts of speaker, I'm just looking for input on any hidden gems in my price range (<£100).

Any Swans are pretty much a no-no, as it's very difficult and expensive to get them in 230V. It also looks like I can't get the Klipsch speakers over here either. Seems the UK is a pretty rubbish place for getting speakers at a decent price.

18. TheOnlyJon macrumors 6502a

TheOnlyJon

Yeah the international thing is pretty crappy because you're missing out on some phenomenal speakers. And excuse the lengthy acoustics 101 post - just wanted to make sure you knew what you wanted first. Sounds like you're not an idiot :eek:

That being said, here's a list I came up with when I was looking for speakers.

• M-Audio AV 40
    • Behringer Ultra Linear Reference Studio Monitors
    • Behringer MS40 Studio Monitors
    • KRK ST6 2-Way Passive Studio Monitor (ONLY ONE SPEAKER)
    • Behringer TRUTH Passive Monitors
    • Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
    • Creative GigaWorks T20
    • Yamaha NS-10M NS Studio Monitors (if you can find some...these are $$$ too)

Anyhow. There's a start.

19. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Thanks for the link, I will try ;)

Def. a good choice. Obviously, I'm not being so helpful.

The ProMedia's have a much larger and traditional sub. I prefer the Swans in this category. The sound is much more rich and crisp on the Swans, the Klipsch are at least twice as loud, probably three times. Good discussion here. I can explain this further, I'd probably get them over any other computer speaker.

Good for gaming and movies. Bad for quality music reproduction.

Love my KRKs. Bookshelfs ≠ Pro Monitors. The former produces sound for those that want to enjoy music, the latter produces sound for those that perform music. The difference is in the amount of balance and the sweet spot. (I discuss the disadvantages to Pro Monitors later down)

They also add a significant price.

Umm...def. the OP did the research.

Waste of money, get a real pair of monitors.

Not even the best Behringers, but better the number one on the list.

Never heard them.

So many problems with this. I love my KRK's (V88s, V8s Series I, E8s, etc...)
    1. You are getting one speaker, fine for a full set-up, not great for a complete system
    2. You are getting a Passive speaker. Any money saved on buying a single speaker from a better brand, gone. You need to find an amp to power it and one that is going to be good enough to take advantage of the clarity.

I had these, not a bad place to start.

Probably what I would get. (Except the last option)

Get the ones above.

I have a pair of these at home. Only non-KRK speaker I still own. They are some of the best monitors ever made, they are also twice as expensive as when they came out originally decades ago. There are plenty who have maintained the speakers incredibly over the years, finding someone willing to part with a pair is hard. Remember that you are buying speakers that are going to have hundreds, if not thousands of hours of time on them. But you won't have to worry, since you aren't going to find a pair close to your price range.

Studio monitors will be accurate, but not the best for those not listening. I have both, the KRK museum back at the house and the Swan's at college. Music is more pleasurable on the Swans because they are more tuned to what someone would like to listen to music on. I agree that there is no need for ground-shaking bass, one thing I like about the Swans, but I love the sound of a good deep bass. With the monitors that are the best on the list (Yamaha's) you are going to get a speaker that is incredibly balanced and flat as a board - that's probably not what you want to listen to music on. Studios that have monitors have huge subwoofers external so that they can control the bass in much greater detail, your price range is not so allowing of this.

Additionally, you will need to buy a controller. These range in price, but easily begin to add up. Most monitors rely on a TRS or XLR connection, not something that your computer's soundcard will support. Buying a simple 1/8th to 1/4th adaptor not only won't work half the time, when it does the quality will be awful. Just one more thing to consider regarding Pro Monitors.

My Thoughts:
    iThink that the Creative's are a great place to start, I heard the first version of the T40s and was incredibly impressed.
    The AudioEngine's come to mind, I personally find them okay and overpriced, but it would be wrong of me not to mention them. There are plenty that swear by them, I see them as a very Bose like corporation.

I haven't heard, but I've heard good things about:
    NuForce S1 (discussion versus AudioEngine)
    Axiom Audiobyte
    DigitalDesign DD-PM151
    Jamo 404?

I can try to help further, just ask.

20. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

I'm in the UK - and I got the Swans from the Audio Insider. I contacted them and arranged shipment with them after agreeing to pay extra. They charged something like £8 for international shipment and they arrived within three days.

Then you need a cheap (£5.99) voltage converter from Maplins and you're sorted.

21. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

They don't seem to be willing to ship anymore.

22. TheOnlyJon macrumors 6502a

TheOnlyJon

Jon's a nice guy and all about customer satisfaction...he might be willing to do it for the OP if he asks :)

And great input, GMK. I even learned some. I would love to get some of those Yamaha's but they're just so expensive...I think you should make a thread about how you've become successful at your age to be able to afford a museum of speakers like you have haha ;)

But in all seriousness I think the OP has a good list to work off of and some equally good reviews. Let us know what you settle on. I hope to see pictures in the setup thread after you get them!

23. SpookTheHamster thread starter macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I have asked them if they'd ship the Swans to the UK, and have yet to receive a response.

Are the Creative T40s really as good as they seem? It seems too good to be true for a set of computer speakers to be that good.

Otherwise the only monitor-style speakers I've been able to find in my price range are the following: AV40s, Cakewalk MA-7As or Alesis Active 320s.

24. TheOnlyJon macrumors 6502a

TheOnlyJon

Give Jon a few days to respond - he will, I promise. Sometimes it just takes a day or two. I would say to go for the T40's. I can't say much about the Cakewalks or the Alesis' so you'll have to see if GMK can give any input. He did say that the M-Audio's weren't worth it, so I would go for the T40's. Every review that I have read has been positive and quite frankly, they're pretty good looking speakers.

25. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I have had sometime with both the Alesis and the M-Audio's. Let's be clear, the M-Audio's are a hybrid between a monitor and a speaker. I wouldn't want to do much mixing on it. That being said, it's more pleasurable to listen to then most monitors. The Alesis are, quite frankly not a whole let better then the M-Audio in terms of monitoring, but definitely not a speaker that I would use for solely pleasure.

There are times in which switching over to monitors aren't a terrible idea, but, if you aren't going to be doing any mixing of sorts, you are better off with a variety of other solutions. Also remember, any monitor solution will require a controller.

I have contacted TheAudioInsider, they seem like great people, but haven't gotten a response of late. Also, they might be more hesitant ship given how they are back ordered currently, but I'd see if you can get a response.