Want the new 4G Touch but the Light Leaking has me paranoid :\

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Johnny7, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Johnny7 macrumors member

I'm planning on getting one of the new iPod touch 4Gs but have seen these images of light leaking into the sides of where the digitizer meets the bezel from the display. Basically, I am totally OCD when it comes to any electronic flaws whatsoever and have terrible luck of getting things with defects.. My last phone had two huge gashes in the screen:eek:. I'm planning on just getting one of these for Christmas and don't want to open it up and start using it only to realize that I'm going to have to take it back because of the light leaking.

Does anyone know if apple has addressed this issue yet? Was there only one batch of iPods with this issue or is it just random as to weather or not the unit a person gets has it? I just don't want to be disappointed and it'd really make it one bummer of a gift.

Any feedback would be great!:)
    Thanks,
    Johnny

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It's kind of a gamble. It may or may not have it. I got one that is perfect, and I imagine most of them are. The threads here are not representative of what people actually are experiencing, as most people will not post to simply state that they have a normal product.

3. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

FWIW, I've also been worried. In fact I started a thread about what to look for in a new iPod Touch 4G, what tests to run it through (it's further down on this page). As is, I got it, and there are no light leaks.

4. Shaneuk macrumors regular

Shaneuk

You might as well just buy one, and if it has light leaks take it back.

5. b0blndsy macrumors 6502

I don't think light leaking is a big issue. Alternatively I suggest get some Iskin to cover it up

6. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

If you are that concerned about the issue, then don't buy an iPod Touch right now. I bought one, no light leaks. I am delighted with mine, but I wouldn't freak out if it had a light leak.... I'd simply return it for a refund.

7. bass93 macrumors regular

Don't worry about it. I got one, and it has the slightest glimmer of light on one side. The screen has to have the brightness all the way up, and in a dark room. And the screen has to be black. Like on, but showing a black image on the whole thing, just to see that tiny, itty bitty glimmer. I never have noticed it, except when I looked for it. I actually forgot about it, til I got on here today. Haha. And if it does have worse leaks, any case will fix that. Just go ahead and get one.

8. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Yes. People forget to take this into account, they're always scared that their Touch will have light leaks due to the number of complaints.

To the OP, if you want one, get one. Not a very large chance that you will get one with a light leak, and if you do, have it sent for repair or exchange it.

9. Botoxopfer macrumors newbie

I am currently using an iPod Touch with light leaks and to be honest I expectet it to be more annoying.
    The first iPod i had, had light leaks so i returned it.
    The second iPod had also light leaks and i returned but they didn't replace it.
    But you see them only in the dark and with full brightness.

So I wouldn't be that worried about it, because it's not a big problem.

10. Johnny7 thread starter macrumors member

Well, if it's that hard to see them, then I might just get one and only take it back if the light leaks are really bad(if it were to have any at all). Would light leaks lead to any other issue? Such as dust in between the digitizer and the LCD? Or no because I've heard they are fused together. I mean, if it weren't to affect how the player works, I'd be just fine with it.

Thanks for all of the help so far!
    Johnny

11. Botoxopfer macrumors newbie

That was my No. 1 Concern too, but here in Germany you have to 2 year of warranty so if something bad happens you can always exchange it.
    Yes the digitizer and the LCD are fused together, so I don't really know where dust could be damaging the iPod.

12. Johnny7 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I wanted to get a touch from costco because of the cheaper price and more importantly the return policy, sadly costco and apple have split up :mad: Figures.. but I guess I can just buy insurance on it. I really want one so I think I'm going to take my chances ;)