iPhone 11 Pro Want this years phone and next years, buy outright this year or IUP?

Drogba11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2018
My Applecare+ is running out on my X so I figure it will be worth a lot less next year if I go to sell it then. I want to go for an 11 Pro Max but I am trying to figure out if it makes more sense to buy outright or join the IUP. I plan on upgrading next year too but my question is, from a financial standpoint, is it better to buy outright and sell next year as opposed to paying $60/month over 12 months then upgrading on IUP? I would get 3% cash back on my Apple card whether I buy outright or on IUP. I don't mind the inconvenience of selling if it makes better sense financially to buy outright and sell again in a year vs trading in for an upgrade. What would you guys do?

RyCan3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2010
I just did this same thing with my X and I went on IUP just because I hate the hassle of selling the phones. Plus, Apple gave me $400 for my X.

MisterSavage

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2018
I just did this same thing with my X and I went on IUP just because I hate the hassle of selling the phones. Plus, Apple gave me $400 for my X.

Same here. Hate the hassle of selling love the convenience of IUP. If Apple charged interest on the loan that would be a different story.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Honestly, IMO, it’s mostly a wash from a financial perspective. The secondary market hasn’t been too great for sellers and Apple offers decent trade-in value if you buy outright.

If next year is similar to this year, you’re pretty much guaranteed to recoup at least half of what you pay for your phone this year. So your out-of-pocket for that vs IUP isn’t very different. Maybe you can sell it and make $100 more than trade in value, but there’s a valid argument that it’s not worth the legwork and risk anymore.

I personally always purchase outright, one because I hate payments, two because I’m not on a major carrier and three because it (kind of) gives me more options when I want to upgrade. However IUP is a fine choice, especially if you’re planning to purchase Apple Care either way.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2018
Earth
What I hate about selling is buyers with unrealistic expectation.

Complaining about hairline scratches on 2 year old phone makes me take the phone, and start smashing it on their face, until their face or the phone breaks.

Go with IUP and save the nerves and time.

Drogba11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2018
I decided to join the IUP! I just don't want the hassle of selling anymore and no doubt selling fees will even higher in a year. I figure I can get between 600-650 for my X now with Apple Care so i'll sell it and not have to worry about selling again.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68020
Nov 6, 2014
What I hate about selling is buyers with unrealistic expectation.

Complaining about hairline scratches on 2 year old phone makes me take the phone, and start smashing it on their face, until their face or the phone breaks.

Go with IUP and save the nerves and time.
Whoa... that’s taking it a bit too far. No need for violence.

But honestly if I’m buying a 2 year old iPhone and if the price is the same as others in good or excellent condition, I wouldn’t want to buy one with a hairline crack either. The iPhone X is still a great choice and a guy like me would care a lot about a hairline crack as I no longer upgrade annually.

Now if you adjust the price to the hairline crack and you are upfront with it, different story. If you don’t tell them, that’s not a great thing to do. If you are upfront, they have no reason to complain as they shouldn’t inquire about it if they don’t like defects even though you put it on the ad. That just means they don’t pay attention.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
I decided to join the IUP! I just don't want the hassle of selling anymore and no doubt selling fees will even higher in a year. I figure I can get between 600-650 for my X now with Apple Care so i'll sell it and not have to worry about selling again.
I hear you. I tried to sell my XS Max on Swappa and I was literally getting offers that were $610, $605...when I could get that by walking into an Apple Store and handing it over (which is what I ended up doing). Then they expect the phone to be mint condition and have no less than 99% battery health. Buyers are simply ridiculous nowadays.

I actually used to enjoy selling my old phones. Now it’s just a nerve-racking nuisance. I’ll be pre-ordering and shipping my old phone in for a credit going forward.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2018
Earth
Whoa... that’s taking it a bit too far. No need for violence.

But honestly if I’m buying a 2 year old iPhone and if the price is the same as others in good or excellent condition, I wouldn’t want to buy one with a hairline crack either. The iPhone X is still a great choice and a guy like me would care a lot about a hairline crack as I no longer upgrade annually.

Now if you adjust the price to the hairline crack and you are upfront with it, different story. If you don’t tell them, that’s not a great thing to do. If you are upfront, they have no reason to complain as they shouldn’t inquire about it if they don’t like defects even though you put it on the ad. That just means they don’t pay attention.
Crack? Where did you read crack?

I am talking about scratches that are barely visible, and can be seen only when the very bright light is shining on the phone back. Front is never problematic, as I am using screen protector from the day one.

when you want flawless phone, you buy a new one. Not one who someone used for two year. It can’t be flawless even if you guard it like a baby. Two years is a long time.

Reactions: jbachandouris

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
It’s not that they’ll buy the phone then complain to you after the fact. It’s that they see the listening has disclosed that there is a hairline scratch (not a crack mind you) and they’ll say, “Yeah...scratch....I can offer you $80 lower than your ask”.

Buyers are expecting sellers to give away a used phone with expected cosmetic wear. Every phone is going to get micro-scratches eventually no matter how well it’s cared for. So I definitely get that guy’s frustration (and I suspect he’s joking about the phone-assault).

pullfocus

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
I joined when it first launched and it's been a perfect fit for me!
The great thing is, other than the initial payment of sales tax, you never really pay full price for a phone if you upgrade every year, and you still have the option to keep it if you want to skip a release and then after the two years you just outright own the thing.

MisterSavage

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2018
The great thing is, other than the initial payment of sales tax, you never really pay full price for a phone if you upgrade every year, and you still have the option to keep it if you want to skip a release and then after the two years you just outright own the thing.
Yeah some people on here act like it's this wasteful, extravagant thing to be in the program. I enjoy upgrading every year. It's super convenient and more than worth $60 a month to me.

pullfocus

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
Yeah some people on here act like it's this wasteful, extravagant thing to be in the program. I enjoy upgrading every year. It's super convenient and more than worth $60 a month to me.
Extravagant? Eh. You can pay the monthly at 0% interest, or shell out the full amount upfront. As I know I'll probably upgrade every year, I'll take paying half the full amount, ultimately.

JagRunner

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2018
Houston,Texas
I traded my phone into Apple....trying to sell online is a pain in the butt these days. People will always try to low ball you. It's not even worth the hassle.

RyCan3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2010
Apple gave me cash credited to my checking account.
- - Post merged: - -

Did Apple give you discounted IUP monthly payment, Cash or Apple Store credit?
Sorry I replied to wrong comment lol. They credited it to my checking account. I could basically pick any card/account.

Reactions: Wags

Drogba11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2018
The only thing that bothers me though, is that you pay 2 years up front for AppleCare+ but if you upgrade your phone in 12 months time, you have to take out a new 2 year AppleCare+ plan at $199 + tax. You are losing $100 effectively every year. Why don't they let you pay it monthly like they do when you buy it outright? Or let you carry over a year and charge you for 1 year?

MisterSavage

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2018
The only thing that bothers me though, is that you pay 2 years up front for AppleCare+ but if you upgrade your phone in 12 months time, you have to take out a new 2 year AppleCare+ plan at $199 + tax. You are losing $100 effectively every year. Why don't they let you pay it monthly like they do when you buy it outright? Or let you carry over a year and charge you for 1 year?
I'm on IUP and that's not how it works. I pay around $110 the first month and then around $60 each month for the rest of the year. Applecare is included and I added $4 a month to get Applecare+.

Drogba11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2018
I'm on IUP and that's not how it works. I pay around $110 the first month and then around $60 each month for the rest of the year. Applecare is included and I added $4 a month to get Applecare+.
On the website you only have the option to pay for the full 2 years up front which is included in the monthly price. So I ended up paying the best part of $1500 for the 256GB MAX

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
The only thing you pay up front are the taxes and first monthly payment.

Drogba11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2018
ah ok maybe I misunderstood it. So I only pay for 12 months apple care if I want to upgrade then?

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
ah ok maybe I misunderstood it. So I only pay for 12 months apple care if I want to upgrade then?
Basically you'll only pay for what you use. Once you trade in your phone for a new one that loan closes out and you start a new one with the new phone which includes AppleCare+. The AppleCare+ is spread out throughout the loan so you are effectively only paying half for AppleCare+ if you trade your phone in each year.

DevinNj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Regardless what type of payment you do on your iPhone, if you purchase AppleCare+ outright and you get rid of the phone, you can get a prorated refund on the AppleCare+ as long as there hasn't been any claims used.

Reactions: Drogba11