Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I just noticed the 24" LED ACD is now available refurbished for $699! And the 30" ACD is now refurbished for only $1299! Those are crazy low prices. I used a 24" LED ACD with my rev B MBA, and it was a dream. I just ordered another to go with my new MBA (previous 24" stolen with MBA). At $699, it's an incredible deal. Adds speakers, camera, USB hub, and even power for your MBA! I am loving these Apple discounts! I seriously considered the 30", but I really like the speakers and built in power for the MBA. I guess the best part is the beauty of the LED backlighting.

Just wanted to share this info for all of you who may be interested in connecting your MBA to an external ACD.

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
I just wanted to say this, seeing Dell's 24" sell for $185 is a real deal, but this one isn't since it is NOT even on a brand new item!

Apple might reduce the new price if you wait a bit longer :)

24" iMac 3.06 + revB MBA was a better combination for me.

BTW, did you decide to keep your 4th or 5th MBA, or are you still trying?

Good luck :)

uniforms

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
South Orange NJ
I'm with Scottsdale......I have the ACD 24 LED, and LOVE IT!!!!!! Using it with any mac laptop is a dream. It's what docking stations should have been! At 699, it's a steal! I wonder how dell's quality compares.

Hope your new system setup all works out Scottsdale. I think your comments about the air have always been so on target. The air is still one of Apples best laptops.

iaymnu

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2007
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...ail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=eep&cs=2236&sku=320-7345

Total = $185.07 after adding it to cart!

It is a steal at that price since it is a 1080p with HDMI and VGA connections so you can simply use it as a TV unlike Apple's crippled ACD when it comes to connection options.

For the price of Apple's 24" LED, you can get a 40" Sony Bravia!!!

Thanks for the link!

The refurbish price of the 24'LED is great ! My Dell vs my :apple: (both calibrated) imo :apple: wins hands down. :rolleyes:

You can never have enough screens around the house. :D:D

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
You're really not comparing that Dell to the ACDs, are you?

No, I was just saying that the ACD is over priced compared to the other options in the market. Even the ones that beat it hand down, are at least $200 cheaper.

At the end, if I was going to buy one, I might end up getting the ACD just because it fits with my Macs which is a lame reason :p

brax.j

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
The 24" LED Cinema Display is IPS the Dell's display is TN if you don't understand the difference because you would never compare the two if you did.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
The 24" LED Cinema Display is IPS the Dell's display is TN if you don't understand the difference because you would never compare the two if you did.

I just went to look for that. Not to mention, the Apple Cinema Display is LED backlit, AND has speakers, camera, usb hub, and POWER for the MBA!

Some people just don't understand that Apple products are not just a higher price for the brand, it's the best stuff available at these prices.

For $699, you cannot find an LED backlit display with the add ons of this ACD. Refurbished doesn't mean used, like it's been used for six months and returned. I will gladly pay the extra money for the advanced features and perfect compatibility with my new MBA!

brandon.vong

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2007
Do the refurbished 24 inch Cinema Displays come with the original box or just a plain box? Are there any differences purchasing new and refurbished? The price is quite tempting and I don't know if I should jump ship.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Do the refurbished 24 inch Cinema Displays come with the original box or just a plain box? Are there any differences purchasing new and refurbished? The price is quite tempting and I don't know if I should jump ship.

Plain, white box. However, it really makes no difference verses buying a new one. It'll still come in pristine condition, 1 year warranty, all accessories and manuals, etc.

bc008

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan

frankly, IMO they have to be compared. Apple simply doesn't offer a "consumer" display. If someone simply wants a larger external for their laptop most turn to other companies besides apple because of their price point.

Im not saying the Apple Display isnt overpriced, because you get what you pay for. Reality is though most people dont need all that in an external screen. Same goes for the macbook pro screens. You have to get the highest model purely because you want a 17 in screen.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
The only currently shipping Dell displays that have S-IPS panels are the 3007WFP and the 2209WA.

I agree that the 24" is very expensive but I don't necessarily think it's overpriced. A common S-IPS HP 24" is going to run between $550 and $700 anyway, it'll be matte (duh), but the finish HP uses on their glossy displays has some nasty orange peel anyway..

I think it's unfortunate that Apple didn't make a proper DVI interface for the display, but it is by far the nicest looking desktop LCD I've seen with an internal power supply. :O

Then again, that HP can easily be had for $549 on newegg while apple continues to sell the 24" for $899! :O I'm not sure if $350 is worth the fancy case, but meh.

I ended up with a new ADC monitor a few months ago, what was it .. $650 for a 23". Meh. It was a lot, but I didn't feel sorry!

The 2209WA is available CHEEP. $200-ish for a 22", problem is it's 1680x1050.

Last thought: Apple hardware is the same, refurb or not, you're either gonna have a (nearly) perfect unit or you're in for a wild ride. If you're a nitpicker, you'll always find flaws, but the HP/Dell displays send to have the same problems (in fact, the 2209WA is popular for backlight bleeding!)

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I just noticed the 24" LED ACD is now available refurbished for $699! And the 30
signature_.jpg
:)

You obviously couldn't have read my original post!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.