Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
mslifkin said:
<dropped some knowledge>

thanks for educating some here (and reminding me of patience). i tend to get aggrivated by those who don't care to learn for themselves (ie. laziness). i guess im just as lazy and would rather rant then drop knowledge.

as for the G5 comment... i don't think i'll be video editing poolside anytime soon. ;) my current PB is just fine for pool-side surfing. but the G5 spanks it at home with the A/V power! :D

peace.

mslifkin

macrumors regular
May 14, 2004
New Jersey
neut said:
thanks for educating some here (and reminding me of patience). i tend to get aggrivated by those who don't care to learn for themselves (ie. laziness). i guess im just as lazy and would rather rant then drop knowledge.

as for the G5 comment... i don't think i'll be video editing poolside anytime soon. ;) my current PB is just fine for pool-side surfing. but the G5 spanks it at home with the A/V power! :D

peace.

No problem. I've gotten lots of help from these forums; some directly, and some indirectly. When it looks like I can give something back, I try to jump on it. I used to do level 3 support; users would call the Help Desk, and the Help Desk would call me if they couldn't answer the user's question, or solve their problem. Believe me, that teaches you patience! Anyway, thanks :eek: and have a great weekend.

Regards,
Marc

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
neut said:
sounds like a lot of people here don't listen very well... or they just hate to learn new things.

you really should get to know computers more. everyone should.

please take the time to learn operating systems and the hardware they run. if you expect RAM to make a significant change especially when you don't really do much with your computer... it won't. the processor, bus speed, and bandwidth are the biggest factor swhen upgrading overall performance. RAM only helps when Photoshop bogs down or when real-time video effects are not in real-time. more than 1G and you better be making something cool with your mac.

i bougth a G5 for content creation 'cause my 1Ghz 17" with 1.5GB RAM wouldn't cut it anymore. the jump from 512 to 1.5 only helps photoshop. my audio files still couldn't 'process' real-time effects while playing large multi-track sequences. RAM did not save my day... but a new G5 did!

do you really need more RAM? do you really need you day saved? or do you just want to buy more stuff for your mac? or maybe tha extra 1/2 second lag of switching open windows just compounds your bordem and laziness (half-joking :)).

i see you mentioned Dell... you should really learn what the differences are between mac and PC and OSX and XP.

peace.

*how can anyone buy a product without knowing how it works or how to work it? people know more about TV shows than they do a computer... and most of us use one every freakin' day.

Well what I was saying was that when I had a Dell, upgrading memory never occured to me (never seemed slow?), but after a while with the powerbook, it's seemed to get more sluggish.

I mean I could most likely do it, it's just that I've never done it before.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
mslifkin said:
All computers (and the operating systems that run them) use both physical memory (RAM) and virtual memory (a swap file on your hard drive). Virtual memory is used because everything can't fit in physical memory at once. The operating system will page not currently active memory contents to disk to create more room for applications that need it. Keep in mind that when you run an application, both the application code and the data you're working on (for example, Photoshop and a 22 meg tiff file that you happen to be editing) are in memory. So, if you have your e-mail program running, Safari open, iTunes playing (don't we all work that way?) whatever isn't currently active could be paged out to virtual memory. So, it makes sense that the more physical memory you have, the less that has to be paged out to disk. So it's not that Mac OS X is a memory hog, it's that both applications and data require memory. To see a picture of what I'm trying to explain open up Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor, and click on the memory tab. Keep it open as you launch the apps you usually use. If you've still got plenty of physical memory left once you've got apps and data loaded then you don't need to upgrade. I don't think that's what you're going to see, though. Adding 512 meg for a total of 1 gig is a decent and valid upgrade, and all you can really do with a PowerBook. Don't get me wrong, G5's rock too, but you can't sit outside by the pool and surf the web with a PowerMac G5. Now once the PowerBook G5's come out, that will be another story ................

Cheers,
Marc

Thanks for the help! I did what you told me to, and according to "Activity Monitor", it shows I have 26.32 MB 'free', and used 482.38MB, wired 60.27, and active 187.40.

Wow, I used 482 of MB????? If I only have 26.32 MB left, that doesn't sound too good :eek:

I found that to be very shocking.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
diehldun said:
Well what I was saying was that when I had a Dell, upgrading memory never occured to me (never seemed slow?), but after a while with the powerbook, it's seemed to get more sluggish.

I mean I could most likely do it, it's just that I've never done it before.

Sorry, i've been a bit cranky as of late ( ... the last 4 years) and a bit impatient.

From your other post it seems as though you really do need that extra RAM. It's pretty easy and i still recommend getting RAM from OWC (even though i just ordered some and it caused a kernal panic on my G5; it was my first order from them that wasn't perfect. every time i've ordered from them it's arrived here in 2 days (from the date of ordering).

i find PB memory on my 17" to be the easiest RAM i've ever replaced. many boards are tough to get the RAM to fit snug, but these just snap in from an angle... it's cake. :) compared to the G5... damn those slots are tight!

peace.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
neut said:
Sorry, i've been a bit cranky as of late ( ... the last 4 years) and a bit impatient.

From your other post it seems as though you really do need that extra RAM. It's pretty easy and i still recommend getting RAM from OWC (even though i just ordered some and it caused a kernal panic on my G5; it was my first order from them that wasn't perfect. every time i've ordered from them it's arrived here in 2 days (from the date of ordering).

i find PB memory on my 17" to be the easiest RAM i've ever replaced. many boards are tough to get the RAM to fit snug, but these just snap in from an angle... it's cake. :) compared to the G5... damn those slots are tight!

peace.

26MB does seem to close for comfort... I've gotta add memory.

Just out of curiosity, what if I open so many applications that it's goes to 0 MB free; does it just freeze???? that's never happened to me. (thank goodness)

WOW! I just took a look at Crucial... their prices are SO much lower than Apple!! :D It's amazing the difference- $700 @ Apple to $500 @ Crucial. Are there any compatability differences between the two? Will my computer reject it (like an organ transplant?) lol

mslifkin

macrumors regular
May 14, 2004
New Jersey
diehldun said:
26MB does seem to close for comfort... I've gotta add memory.

Just out of curiosity, what if I open so many applications that it's goes to 0 MB free; does it just freeze???? that's never happened to me. (thank goodness)

WOW! I just took a look at Crucial... their prices are SO much lower than Apple!! :D It's amazing the difference- $700 @ Apple to $500 @ Crucial. Are there any compatability differences between the two? Will my computer reject it (like an organ transplant?) lol

Hey,

I don't think the system would ever let it get to 0, it would just page out more and more, and things would get really slooooooooooow! 1 gig should work out just fine.

And Neut,

Yeah, adding memory to a G5 has got to be the hardest thing I've ever done! I thought for sure something was going to snap, either the memory module, or the system board. But it worked just fine, thank goodness. I used to be a PC nut, and didn't have very good things to say about Apple. Then I tried one, got a taste of Mac OS X, and I was hooked! Now my PCs collect dust, and my Macs get used every day. I'll never buy another PC again.

Cheers,
Marc

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
diehldun said:

major RAM dealers/makers guarantee their RAM. crucial memory can be found in some stock mac models from Apple (Samsung is also common). Have you peeked at what's inside you mac now? it could be Crucial memory. :)

check this out: OEC 17" 1.33 G4 RAM

"1GB (1024MB) PC2700 DDR SODIMM 200 Pin Memory Module 128x64 CL 2.5 for all Powerbook G4 AL 12/15/17" Models, All iBook G4 Models. iMac G4 1.0GHz and later. Tested & Guaranteed! New, Lifetime Advance Replacement Warranty. (OWC2700DDRS1GBA)
$235.00"

They guarantee their memory. they are replacing some defective memory i just bought from them. i really like their product and love their prices. this RAM is almost $500 less than Apples.

mslifkin said:
Yeah, adding memory to a G5 has got to be the hardest thing I've ever done! I thought for sure something was going to snap, either the memory module, or the system board. But it worked just fine, thank goodness. I used to be a PC nut, and didn't have very good things to say about Apple. Then I tried one, got a taste of Mac OS X, and I was hooked! Now my PCs collect dust, and my Macs get used every day. I'll never buy another PC again.

yeah. they make 'em pretty tight. i hope to see a little revision on the next few models. i'd hate to snap a stick 2G RAM! :eek:

nice move on the switch. i rediscovered macs in 96 and got my first mac in 2000. i've been using computers (mostly PCs) since 83 and still use a PC at work but my 17" PB is at my side in case 2000 takes a dump on me. :)

peace.

srphoto

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2004
Yo thanks for the tip on how to check how much ram u have. I knew my PB 15 was running a lttl slow on photoshop, but i didnt realize i was useing 97 friggin % of my memory!!! I'm prolly gonna get a extra gig, which'll up me to 1.256 gig.

And hey guys apple ppl are supposed to be nice to us newbies, its hard switching over from PC to MAC! I have been useing PCs for like 10 yrs, so its hard to know everything about macs. (which kick@ss of coarse :D )
But come to think of it u should know what ram is... :confused:

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Want to add more memory (1GB) to PB... but I don't know how to add! (what to do?)

Couple of corrections:

Crucial RAM will never be found as stock in Apple machines - Apple does not buy RAM retail. Apple has been using Samsung DDR modules in the PowerBook G4s for some time now.

Micron RAM is found in some Macs, Micron is a manufacturer, Crucial is a retailer, Micron owns Crucial. Crucial doesn't sell exclusively Micron RAM, they also sell Infineon and other manufacturers, so there really is no correspondence Crucial:Apple. There's nothing magic about Crucial, they sell RAM at prices less than Apple's and more than some others. Some people like their customer service, some don't. We sell Crucial RAM (among other brands) in Canada, but at a wholesale level, I would rather deal with just about any other company than them.

Adding RAM will not make your machine boot faster (it will actually be marginally slower to boot) and will not make Photoshop open faster (that is determined primarily by your hard drive and processor speed).

Adding RAM doesn't increase speed, it *removes barriers to speed* (explained superbly by mslifkin). Having enough RAM allows your machine to perform at its potential, adding more than that only helps if you open enough documents and programs to push into the higher RAM usage.

If you are in the US, check out http://www.datamem.com as well for Mac RAM.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
CanadaRAM said:
Couple of corrections:

Crucial RAM will never be found as stock in Apple machines - Apple does not buy RAM retail. Apple has been using Samsung DDR modules in the PowerBook G4s for some time now.

Micron RAM is found in some Macs, Micron is a manufacturer, Crucial is a retailer, Micron owns Crucial. Crucial doesn't sell exclusively Micron RAM, they also sell Infineon and other manufacturers, so there really is no correspondence Crucial:Apple. There's nothing magic about Crucial, they sell RAM at prices less than Apple's and more than some others. Some people like their customer service, some don't. We sell Crucial RAM (among other brands) in Canada, but at a wholesale level, I would rather deal with just about any other company than them.

Adding RAM will not make your machine boot faster (it will actually be marginally slower to boot) and will not make Photoshop open faster (that is determined primarily by your hard drive and processor speed).

Adding RAM doesn't increase speed, it *removes barriers to speed* (explained superbly by mslifkin). Having enough RAM allows your machine to perform at its potential, adding more than that only helps if you open enough documents and programs to push into the higher RAM usage.

If you are in the US, check out http://www.datamem.com as well for Mac RAM.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

in that link you gave, there are two "1GB" types of memory... is the "Samsung Original" the one that ships from Apple originally??? Is it worth the upgrade?

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
Just wanted to provide a valuable warning... When installing RAM on a PB, be very careful with the screws on the bottom of the PB. The screws are aluminum and are very soft. (Very easy to strip). Just my 2 cents. :cool:

Digital_Gary

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2004
Toronto
ust wanted to provide a valuable warning... When installing RAM on a PB, be very careful with the screws on the bottom of the PB. The screws are aluminum and are very soft. (Very easy to strip). Just my 2 cents.

very good advise. Use a good quality screw driver as well. We've had quite a few people wreck their screws using crappy drivers.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
Digital_Gary said:
very good advise. Use a good quality screw driver as well. We've had quite a few people wreck their screws using crappy drivers.

WOW thanks for the tip! I didn't know they were that fragile! Why are they made out of aluminum?????

BTW I am most likely going with the 1GB option from Crucial... sounds like a good deal to me. :)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Want to add more memory (1GB) to PB... but I don't know how to add! (what to do?)

diehldun said:
in that link you gave, there are two "1GB" types of memory... is the "Samsung Original" the one that ships from Apple originally??? Is it worth the upgrade?

Data Memory Systems (DMS) has two different 1 Gb modules, the Samsung original design that Apple uses (#DM50 155) and the Nanya module (#DM50 155-2). The Samsung is the low-power-drain design. The Nanya is also a low-power module and is equivalent in performance. We sell both modules here in Canada, and they have both been very reliable.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
Why are they made out of aluminum?????

If they were made of steel they would be harder than the chassis, and you would strip the threads in that, rather than the screws themselves.

This seems rather a long thread about upgrading memory - I'm sure I've seen an illustrated help guide on the Apple web site. 1.5gB seems an awful lot to have just for iTunes and word processing, but still, if you can type that fast who am I to question it............

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
stevep said:
This seems rather a long thread about upgrading memory - I'm sure I've seen an illustrated help guide on the Apple web site. 1.5gB seems an awful lot to have just for iTunes and word processing, but still, if you can type that fast who am I to question it............

the guide is also in the manual... does anyone RTM anymore?

CanadaRAM- do sales go up when you post ads for your RAM business? ;)

peace.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
neut said:
the guide is also in the manual... does anyone RTM anymore?

CanadaRAM- do sales go up when you post ads for your RAM business? ;)

peace.

lol.

So, is there a difference between the "two" 1GB modules YOU sell?? The samsung is more expensive just because it's the one used by Apple? The would it make more sense to buy it directly from Samsung? :confused:

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5

> So, is there a difference between the "two" 1GB modules YOU sell?? The samsung is more expensive just because it's the one used by Apple?

Samsung is more expensive because its wholesale is higher than the Nanya module, simple as that. It's still less than Kingston or Crucial. Used to be Samsung was the only low-power drain module, so there was a reason for the premium. Now that Nanya is building a similar design for less $, that's what I have in my iBook G4 14". Performance wise, I can't tell a diffference between the two. But some people prefer one brand name over another, which is why we handle all 4 makes.

> Then would it make more sense to buy it directly from Samsung?

Samsung wholesales to a variety of companies, who then in turn retail to consumers. I don't believe you could buy direct from Samsung.

> CanadaRAM- do sales go up when you post ads for your RAM business?

Not measurably, no, because we sell almost exclusively in Canada, which would be what - 5% of MacRumorites?. Haven't had anybody knocking on the door saying that they came from MacRumors.

As long as others are posting links to RAM retailers (and snowmobiles??)... when I have something to add to the discussion, you might as well know upfront that I am in the same business. Take for granted that I *am* biased after having spent 16 years in the Mac support business. But if I don't have something factual to add, I'll keep my mouth shut. :)

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
CanadaRAM said:
> So, is there a difference between the "two" 1GB modules YOU sell?? The samsung is more expensive just because it's the one used by Apple?

Samsung is more expensive because its wholesale is higher than the Nanya module, simple as that. It's still less than Kingston or Crucial. Used to be Samsung was the only low-power drain module, so there was a reason for the premium. Now that Nanya is building a similar design for less $, that's what I have in my iBook G4 14". Performance wise, I can't tell a diffference between the two. But some people prefer one brand name over another, which is why we handle all 4 makes.

> Then would it make more sense to buy it directly from Samsung?

Samsung wholesales to a variety of companies, who then in turn retail to consumers. I don't believe you could buy direct from Samsung.

> CanadaRAM- do sales go up when you post ads for your RAM business?

Not measurably, no, because we sell almost exclusively in Canada, which would be what - 5% of MacRumorites?. Haven't had anybody knocking on the door saying that they came from MacRumors.

As long as others are posting links to RAM retailers (and snowmobiles??)... when I have something to add to the discussion, you might as well know upfront that I am in the same business. Take for granted that I *am* biased after having spent 16 years in the Mac support business. But if I don't have something factual to add, I'll keep my mouth shut. :)

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

I am now considering getting it directly from Samsung USA's website... unfortunately, I am running into confusion (I didn't know there were so many different types!)

Is this what I should be considering??? :confused:
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Sem.../UnbufferedDIMM/M366S1623DT0/M366S1623DT0.htm

I am looking for a 1GB module to make a total of 1.5GB in my PowerBook 1.33... am I on the right track???

BTW: Does Samsung even sell their products (like RAM) online??? can't seem to find a "buy" button lol

betsbillabong

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2004
I just bought Kingmax RAM from newegg... not sure if it's low-powered but I don't think so as it doesn't mention it on the product's site. Do the low-powered modules suck less battery power from you? I have a brand-new 15" and I'm trying to keep the battery life up. Wondering if this is going to suck my battery:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-155-111&DEPA=0

I hadn't heard that some RAM was low-powered; I thought that all RAM was more or less equal, so long as it was accepted by your computer. Can anyone tell me more?

Thanks,
Betsey

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
diehldun said:
I am now considering getting it directly from Samsung USA's website... unfortunately, I am running into confusion (I didn't know there were so many different types!)

BTW: Does Samsung even sell their products (like RAM) online??? can't seem to find a "buy" button lol

Nope, not unless you are buying 10,000 at a time.
For smaller quantities you need to purchase from a retailer who resells the Samsung parts.

in the USA http://www.datamem.com is who we like.

> [betsbillabong] I just bought Kingmax RAM from newegg... not sure if it's low-powered but I don't think so as it doesn't mention it on the product's site. Do the low-powered modules suck less battery power

Yes, if the chips are more efficient (consume less power and radiate less energy as heat) then they will draw less juice from your battery. So there could be small differences in battery life between brands of RAM. Still, the main drains on battery are backlighting and hard drive access, so your goal it to minimize these. Having more RAM means fewer Page outs to the hard drive,so you'll save battery life there (as long as you don't go hog wild and open 12 applications at once).

I can't tell you whether or not the KTI chips are a low-power design. But a rule of thumb is that the smaller the memory chips on the module, and the more recent the packaging technology, the more efficient they are likely to be. The Kingmax uses KTI MBGA (Micro Ball Grid Array)-packaged chips, which are the most recent type of chip.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

betsbillabong

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2004
Great, Trevor - thanks a lot. I guess I'll just wait and see. If it seems to drain my battery I'll try something else, but... $193 vs. Apple's $700!

Betsey

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
CanadaRAM said:
Nope, not unless you are buying 10,000 at a time.
For smaller quantities you need to purchase from a retailer who resells the Samsung parts.

in the USA http://www.datamem.com is who we like.

> [betsbillabong] I just bought Kingmax RAM from newegg... not sure if it's low-powered but I don't think so as it doesn't mention it on the product's site. Do the low-powered modules suck less battery power

Yes, if the chips are more efficient (consume less power and radiate less energy as heat) then they will draw less juice from your battery. So there could be small differences in battery life between brands of RAM. Still, the main drains on battery are backlighting and hard drive access, so your goal it to minimize these. Having more RAM means fewer Page outs to the hard drive,so you'll save battery life there (as long as you don't go hog wild and open 12 applications at once).

I can't tell you whether or not the KTI chips are a low-power design. But a rule of thumb is that the smaller the memory chips on the module, and the more recent the packaging technology, the more efficient they are likely to be. The Kingmax uses KTI MBGA (Micro Ball Grid Array)-packaged chips, which are the most recent type of chip.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

LOL didn't know that was how Samsung sold their stuff :p

Thank you for all your help. I think I am going to go with Crucial 1.0 GB module. Once again, thanks to you all :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.