Want to backup and view photos on a separate drive with iphoto

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Max1964, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Max1964 macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook and use iphoto. I have about 18000 pictures on it and now there is no more free space on my computer. I bought a Time Capsule and thought I would just move the photos to it. I also have other photos on two separate hard drives from an old PC. I moved some of the photos to the Time Capsule, but now I cannot view them like I can the photos on my MacBook. When I had a PC, I would just use the PC viewing program (that came with the computer) and select a drive and view the photos, but with iphoto I cannot seem to figure out how to view the photos that are on a separate drive (Time Capsule). So now I have a Time Capsule with about 9000 photos (half of what is on my MacBook) and I do not know how to view them. Also, I would like to back everything up on a web based platform like Carbonite. If anyone has any advise, ideas, suggestions, comments, etc. etc. I would really appreciate it.
    Thank you,
    Max

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

For a "normal" external drive, you just need to drag your Pictures folder on to the drive. Open iPhoto while holding down the Option key and then navigate to the iPhoto library on the external drive. Iphoto will now use that by default. However, I don't know if that will work with a Time Capsule.

3. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

The problem with that is that you are just looking at a single location each time, the OP wants pictures in different locations at the same time, eg some on one drive, some on another.

If Max really wants to use iPhoto he could try setting it not to copy photos to the iPhoto library (untick the option in preferences>advanced) Max you also might want to consider another photo viewer. I dont know if Picasa would be any better in this circumstances?

4. Max1964 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both for your suggestions. I am going to try both and see what works the best. I really am just looking to consolidate everything in one place and view it there. This way I can free up space from my MacBook. Thank you both again.

5. skybolt macrumors 6502a

6. Max1964 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Mary, I will give that a try as well. I really appreciate your knowledge and help.