Want to buy 2.8GHz iMac/ Should I wait for Penryn?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by I'm a Mac, Nov 5, 2007.

1. I'm a Mac macrumors 6502

I am interested in buying the 2.8Ghz iMac, but I was wondering if I should wait for penryn, although I don't know how long that would be. Is it worth the wait? Is the future penryn upgrade just a faster processor is it a huge change?

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

expect Penryn iMacs no sooner than February, and as late as May.

Buy now.

2.8 with 10.5. Perfect time to buy.

I bought my 2.8 in August, so I had to buy 10.5.

3. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Why will it take so long? Is there anything so great about penryn other than a faster processor?

4. sportsnut macrumors regular

How about?

Attached Files:

5. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the advice but how big of a difference will Penryn make?

6. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

It will take awhile b/c Apple has been spreading out their revisions a bit, combined with Penryn will only first be available in desktop class this month, and the mobile versions are not due until early next year at which point the MBP will probably get the first update somewhere between MWSF and early February. The iMac will follow based on availability and Apple's timeframe.

As far as speed, yes the Penryn represents the evolution on Santa Rosa chipset, as the next revisions will be the 1st generation on the next chipset - Nehalem maybe unless I am confusing the CPU codename. Anyway, yes Penryn is going to be faster by some factor and use less power/run cooler, both of which are significant but the latter more to the notebooks, all of which is inherent to the 45nm shrink vs the 65nm current CPUs. But it isn't anything mindblowing and certainly not worth waiting for IMHO as the current 2.8 is a fantastic machine.

7. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

So penryn is only worth the wait if I was interested in the MBP. In that case, do you think the Penryn-based MBP is a better choice than the 2.8 GHz iMac?

8. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I didn't say that, only that Penryn-based MBPs will probably arrive before iMac updates. I bought a 2.8 iMac in August b/c I didn't want a portable solution, wanted a large drive (750) and Apple had no desktop solution for me other than a Mac Pro which was overpriced w/ display and overkill in power. I have been very happy with my 24" space saving iMac. I have 2 external drives connected. A portable would mean closing the lid and connecting drives and other components as well as the desk space taken up a 15.4" machine. As well the price of it. The 24" iMac was a no brainer, especially when it came out in Aluminum which was what was the appeal of the Pro machines. It's sexy and looks great on my desk, has screen real estate and screams. I maxed out the RAM and CPU for longevity. But I had already been waiting a long time for this machine. I wasn't going to wait till October for 10.5 let alone till next year for Penryn.

Get it now, you won't be disappointed.

9. tingly macrumors 6502

If you don't need a laptop, save your money and get the imac. When the processor makes a significant difference in the distant future, you'll be ready for a new computer, anyway.

10. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

I save tons of money by ordering from the my school apple store, but a have to get a pre configured model with only 2gb of ram.

Here is the info: iMac 24" screen, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz, 2 gigabyte RAM, 500 gigabyte hard drive, 256 meg video RAM, SuperDrive, AirPort, BlueTooth, OS X, 3 year AppleCare warranty
    $2,168.00

Apple sells separate RAM for a fortune: 1000 bucks for 4GB! Where can I get 4Gb of ram for a smaller price? What else do I need to upgrade?

P.S. thanks for your iMac vs. MBP advice

11. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

OWC. Prices fluctuate but I got 2x2GB sticks 4GB total for $140. macsales.com is their site. Crucial is also highly recommended.

Edit: checked $160 plus $5 shipping I think.

BTW, $2,168 is a great price on that machine.

12. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice. Is the quality of the memory from crucial or OWC the same as the quality from apple?

13. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

YES!. You can even get Samsung (I think) OEM memory from OWC that is a bit pricier than the OWC RAM but is the same RAM that Apple uses. But save your money. There is no difference. And save your original RAM that comes with the machine, if you ever have to send it in, change out your RAM first, you never know if they are going to replace it rather than repair it.

14. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

I just got the 2.2 MBP. I think the Penryn MBP are going to be awhile, I say probably a year. Yes theyve been released, but apple is always slow on these things.
    By the time they are updated, I will be ready to update...Providing they are indeed a worthy upgrade.