want to buy a new desk...any suggestions?

AmericanIdiot12

macrumors regular
Original poster
i want to buy a new desk to compliment my setup

i want either black, white, or glass, clear or frosted

i also want drawers and a desk that will kind of hide my cords but that isnt the highest priority so post even if it doesnt have that

any suggestions?

post a link to a desk you like or one that you have

thanks in advance

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
I second that motion

I have a little desk from IKEA called JONAS that would work greta with your setup. It isn't any of the colors you listed, but it is birch veneered, and it looks great with Apple gear.

link92

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
I've got a 160x80cm IKEA GALLANT desk waiting on two things, both effected by one another
  • Not put together because I need more ethernet cable
  • No ethernet cable because
    • The table isn't up yet
    • Can't be bothered to measure it

_bnkr612

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
PaRaGoNViCtiM said:
I have this desk with the file cart and I freakin' love it. It has the frosted glass. It's awesome!
Had this, sold it to my folks.

Upside: Contemporary look, plenty of depth, nice height...

Downside: Rollout tray hinges wear on you wrists, PM G5 doesn't fit very well below. Glass top not nice to an optical mouse unless you use an ugly mouse pad. You can't get to close to the monitor (I have a 20" ACD) I felt like I was a mile away with the tray out.

This is just me though...

IKEA will be my next stop.

Black&Tan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2004
You can always make one. I'm currently remodelling my basement around a 'u' shaped tabletop which should offer something along the lines of 20 feet of usable desktop space, with cabinets and bookcases for storage.

forumBuddy

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2005
_bnkr612 said:

Downside: Rollout tray hinges wear on you wrists, PM G5 doesn't fit very well below. Glass top not nice to an optical mouse unless you use an ugly mouse pad. You can't get to close to the monitor (I have a 20" ACD) I felt like I was a mile away with the tray out.

This is just me though...

IKEA will be my next stop.
Eh, in my case I just put keyboard on the glass surface and use drawer to hold stuff. So far people are impressed with this setup, although I wish it would be made out of real wood.

Question for AmericanIdiot :))) - where did you get that desk lamp, looks very Apply and iPody :D

AmericanIdiot12

macrumors regular
Original poster
forumBuddy said:
Eh, in my case I just put keyboard on the glass surface and use drawer to hold stuff. So far people are impressed with this setup, although I wish it would be made out of real wood.

Question for AmericanIdiot :))) - where did you get that desk lamp, looks very Apply and iPody :D
i got it when i was little im pretty sure

i got it because it looks like the lamp that plays with the ball in the pixar thing in the beginning of toy story which was my favorite movie

its been in my basement for a few years and i brought it back up to match my creature speakers

i dont remember where i got it though...sorry

velocityg4

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Black&Tan said:
You can always make one. I'm currently remodelling my basement around a 'u' shaped tabletop which should offer something along the lines of 20 feet of usable desktop space, with cabinets and bookcases for storage.
I'm with Black&Tan on this one. I built one myself. By building it yourself you can have a desk that looks great and meets your needs exactly. Another bonus over IKEA garbage is instead of an oak or pine veneer over particle board you can make a desk out of solid oak, pine, cherry, maple or at the high end Koa. :cool:

PaRaGoNViCtiM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
PA
_bnkr612 said:
The Rollout tray hinges do wear on your wrists, but I keep my keyboard on top of the glass, so that really doesn't affect me. I don't have a PM, so that don't affect me either. Overall, I think it's an awesome looking desk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.