Want to buy a used iPhone - how to activate it as an iPod?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zub3qin, Jul 21, 2008.

1. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

I want to buy a used iPhone.
    Apple has openly stated that people can get a new 3G and use their old iPhones as ipods.

So how can i activate the used iPhone without a contract with AT&T?
    I know there are programs like Independence which worked with the old software, but if the phone is already 2.0, what software safely activates the phone (i'm not interested in unlocking or jailbreaking)

Thanks!

2. dc73pd macrumors newbie

Dont need to

you shouldnt have to activate it if it was a previously activated iphone. It will just show no signal in the ATT area where the signal bars are and should work fine as an ipod

3. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

If it's a used iPhone (i.e. you've bought it from someone), just take the SIM card out (or actually you can probably just leave it in.

Presumably, the previous owner has upgraded to 3G or moved on, meaning the SIM card inside is deactivated. However, the phone is still "unbricked." And seeing that you are not paying for a phone account, you can use the iPhone as you see fit (the phone and texts being disabled obviously)

4. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

When people sell their used iPhones, don't they reset the phone and erase all settings? In the past when I have done that with prior iPhones, it is as if you got the phone new in a box... and requires activation again.