Want to buy full price or subsidized iPhone via Verizon then cancel plan / account..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by idyll, Oct 25, 2014.

1. idyll macrumors 6502

A family member is a T-Mobile customer and travels overseas often, so they need an unlocked phone to take with them.

T-Mobile iPhones are fairly tough to come across, so he was wondering if he could open an account on our Verizon family plan and buy an iPhone 6 from Apple or another retailer that way. I'm thinking they would not sell one at full-price (maybe?), so he might have to purchase it at the subsidized price then cancel his line.

What fees would he encounter on top of the subsidized $200 + taxes fee for the iPhone 6?

Is this a good way to go?

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

If he cancels before the return period, he'll be billed the difference between the subsidy cost and full retail. Plus taxes and possibly fees and a prorated amount of the month's service.

After the return period, he'll be billed ETF plus taxes and at least a half month's service.

Either way it's typically cheaper to just buy full retail. I believe Apple will sell it that way, but other retailers won't at this point.

Why not just buy a full retail TMO phone?

3. idyll thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! Makes sense.

We'll try our best to buy the T-Mobile version at full price, but haven't had any luck yet, while they seem to have plenty of Verizon iPhone 6s.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

How soon do they need it?

The unlocked/tmobile SG 64 iphone 6 that I ordered late tuesday afternoon 10/21 from Apple.com shipped and is due to be delivered on Monday 10/27.

I believe they could potentially order an AT&T or Verizon version for in-store pickup on contract and then when they get there tell the Apple store employee they want to buy it full retail / off contract without establishing service. There are some threads/posts discussing that process here. Might end up buying/returning/rebuying. Only downside is with new service they'll likely have a hard-pull on their credit, which should be a big deal unless they're about to finance something soon.

5. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

Go into an Apple Store. Ask for a Verizon phone. When they ask what plan you want, say you want to buy it full price, no plan.

Take out the Verizon SIM from the phone.

Put in a T-Mobile SIM.

Done.

6. 617aircav Suspended

The only time this makes sense is when the carriers have special discounts on the phone, and that won't be a while.

7. nyknicks8 macrumors newbie

No where in the terms its mentioned that they can charge the difference between subsidy and retail. I only see a $350 ETF for advanced devices. I'm in the process of doing this now, my iPhone 6 is supposed to come tomorrow. My service was activated Nov 1. I will cancel tomorrow within 3 days to get the activation fee refunded by porting the number out to avoid dealing with the reps. And at most I should pay for 3 days of service and ETF. Verizon reps can say whatever they want, but I'm not going to be paying anything more than that.

My calculated costs:
    iPhone 6: $191.16 (inlcuding tax)
    Service (3 days): around $7
    ETF (incl tax): around $378

Total: $576.16
    Save: $125.84

I'm hoping that Verizon somehow forgets the charge the ETF. But regardless I save compared to buying a full priced iPhone.

8. NewVZcustomer macrumors member

How are you getting a discount off the regular $199 price? Why didn't you include the activation fee? If you're within 14 days they can require you to return the equipment I believe

9. lawmanfox macrumors newbie

Same question...

10. Chatter macrumors 6502a

THIS. No need to screw around with contracts, ETFs etc.
    An ATT phone at full price will work too from the Apple store.

11. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

This.

You can do the same thing at Best Buy, too.

----------

Yep. AT&T will also work.

12. nyknicks8 macrumors newbie

Activation fee refunded if you cancel within 3 days. They cannot force me to return the equipment because their contract does not specify additional penalties for not doing so. The best they can do is charge me the ETF

13. lawmanfox macrumors newbie

they may charge you 1 full month's service fee, Att won't prorate the bill even you only use 3 days, no idea what would version do.

14. bwsteg macrumors 6502

And you took a HP to save $100..Doesn't seem wise to me...

15. nyknicks8 macrumors newbie

I'm not worried about a HP. I already have plenty of HPs on my account from the numerous credit cards I apply for each year. My score is high enough and has not dropped in the last 10 years despite having on average 5-8 HPs per year.

I'm hoping that they dont charge the ETF, some people said they did this many times and Verizon forgets to charge the ETF about 25% of the time. Not many people do this so we'll see what happens.

16. deeddawg macrumors 604

Interesting. I believe I'd seen it before, but glancing again I don't.

----------

Really. Why would you say that?

17. zsqxaw macrumors newbie

So did anyone try this and successfully buy an iPhone?

18. blwade macrumors 6502

I'm curious to know if this was successful too...

19. tritron macrumors regular

If you are in contract you can buy phone at full price from apple.com. If you go to apple.com and upgrade it will let you buy one at full price. Other options are to buy a phone by adding a line and wait 15 days than port line to tmobile trade old verizon phone buy new cheap tmobile phone and have tmobile payoff etf

20. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

I asked about this at Best Buy and they said their full-price Verizon 128GB iPhone 6 was $899, while the T-Mobile version direct from Apple is $849. Typical Best Buy ineptitude, or legitimate difference? I do see $899 on Best Buy's website as well, so I guess that's where it came from.

21. deeddawg macrumors 604

I saw the same thing at the Target in-store kiosk.

These places make money from the contracts/renewals so when stock is limited why sell a full price at MSRP and make less profit? Instead jack it up to $50 over MSRP and make their money if the buyer really wants it badly enough to overpay.

22. KPOM macrumors G5

You can go into an Apple Store and ask to purchase a Verizon iPhone 6 "device only." For that matter, you can do that with an AT&T model, so if your store has them in stock, that's the easiest way.