Want to buy iPhone 4s in America and use it in Europe.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Yankee125xt, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Yankee125xt macrumors newbie

As you can read, the title is pretty self explanatory.
    I need to buy an iPhone 4s here in the US and use it in Italy with a different Sim card. I have a few questions. If anybody can answer, I will be grateful.

1. Is it possible to buy an "unlocked" iPhone 4s? I bought an iPad 2 with at&t in the Us and use it in Italy perfectly fine with a different sim card.

2. Where can I buy this iPhone 4s in the US? Which store sells them unlocked at full retail price? Amazon, Apple, Verizon, at&t?

3. Will SIRI work in Italy?

Thank you for any help!

2. Mr.C macrumors 601

Official unlocked ones are not available in the US yet and according to Apple they will be available sometime this month. No specific date has been given.

There are a large number of reports with huge thread on the subject on this forum of people buying AT&T phones from Apple without giving their account details and setting them up in iTunes as unlocked phones. This would be a possibility but also maybe a risk. You might want to wait for the official unlocked phones.

Siri will work in Italy but only when speaking in English, Spanish or German. It is however limited outside the US until next year as location based features only work in the US right now. I suspect Italian amongst other languages may be added at a later time.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1253171

3. c3m macrumors member

1) The iPad are not locked that is why you can use it anywhere in the world with a GSM micro sim card.

2) like the other user said, the factory unlock iPhone 4S isn't out in the USA yet. The closes country to the US that sells factory unlocked iPhones is Canada and only at the Apple store.

3) SIRI will work in Italy as long as you are connected to the internet. SIRI requires an internet (wifi or 3G) connection to use. However, at the current beta, SIRI only understands 5 languages English (British, US, & Australia), French and German. Other languages will most likely be implemented in the future as it becomes available.