Want to buy MB next week but QC issues have me concerned

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CF Fighter, Jan 7, 2008.

1. CF Fighter macrumors member

Am I just being overly paranoid here or do I have viable concerns on purchasing a Macbook next week. I'm reading about discoloration to the plastics, cracking, CPU whine, and now the issue of the audio popping when connected to speakers or headphones. I would love to have a Mac laptop, the size, price, power, and weight are a fantastic value compared to a PC with the same specs in all those areas. I mean I will be getting Applecare, but reading all these concerns on here raise many, many red flags for me and make me not want to purchase a new laptop.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Bear in mind that you'll always hear more about problems than you do about the good stuff. In general Apple's QC has always been superior to most of the rest of the industry, and that hasn't changed. Whatever manufacturer you buy from, there's a chance that something will go wrong, but most people have precisely zero problems. Buy your MacBook and enjoy - I'm sure it'll be as great as the 30-odd Macs I've owned through the years....

4. Matiek macrumors member

I was holding off for the same reason. After I finally bought my MBP It turned out to be perfect. The problems get blown out of proportion on this site. Also, keep in mind that you have a certain amount of time, I think 15-30 days, to return your mac no questions asked. If you have a problem with your machine in this time the mac store seems extra motivated to make it right. I would still get applecare but that's just me.

5. Sceneshifter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

I strongly advise you to take all the whining here with a gigantic amount of relativity. It's Apple, but it's still just a company, so mistakes are made on a daily basis I suppose. Anyway, not being a fan boy at all, I can safely say that I've had nothing but pleasure with my MB (only two months old though).

6. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Mmmm, helpful.

What you have to remember CF Fighter, is where you are. People come here with problems, it far from represents the whole of Apple's Installed User Base.

7. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Many of those problems such as discolouration, cracking, CPU whine have been fixed long ago. I'm not too aware of the audio popping issue, but if its a widespread issues then Apple would be looking into it and fixing it. If it's only individual cases then it's rather unlikely that you'll get one. Remember, for every unhappy user, there are hundreds more happy users. My macbook, for example had none of those issues :D.
    Plus if you got apple care, then you truly have nothing to worry about. They'll fix all those problems if you happen to come across them.

8. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I have a year old c2d macbook with no problems whatsoever.

If people have a perfect machine (and I've had a few from Apple, with one problem screen SR MBP), they don't say anything.

I'd wat until after Macworld (15th Jan) to buy anything though.

9. blackscooby macrumors 6502

blackscooby

I think the "audio popping" issue was related to a software update in 10.4.x that was subsequently addressed.

10. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

You do too much reading and analyzing. Just buy your MB and enjoy it. The chances of getting a bad one is so very rare.

11. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Yup. Buy it, it'll be fine. I've had zero problems (MBP, iBook, other stuff).