Want to buy MBP' 17 online with SSD, and then replace DVD-rom to HDD.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sambuev, Jun 3, 2011.

1. sambuev, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2011

sambuev macrumors member

sambuev

Hello guys, I want to order custom MacBook Pro 17 at Monday and this is my configuration:

[​IMG]
    (educational store)

My Idea is to buy MBP with pre-installed OS X on SSD and then I want to buy HDD and replace my Optical drive (DVD-ROM).
    I need a help with choosing the best HDD and adapter to connect HDD to Optical Drive (I think it called - Optibay).

What do you guys think? Do you have any suggestion?
    Thank you :eek:

2. pezasied182 macrumors 6502

MCE Optibay is a good choice, it gives you a case so you can set up the Super Drive outside of the MacBook Pro, it's $100 though a little pricey. And maybe I didn't understand, but you are going to buy an SSD and an HDD after you purchase your MacBook? Or have you not switched it over in the picture to an SSD yet?

If you are going to buy only one, go with the HDD with the MacBook Pro and buy an SSD afterwards. You can get a better SSD than Apples, like the Vertex 3.

here's the link for the Optibay I would get http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/

3. sambuev thread starter macrumors member

sambuev

Yes, I messed up with picture, now it is correct.
    I going to buy SSD from Apple because I don't want to have problems with SSD, I've read a lot of topic about people who having some issues with SSD drives and 128GB isn't so expensive, like for instance OWC drive is $300 for 120GB.

My idea was to buy some HDD and OWC Data Doubler and use native SSD for OS X and HDD 500GB 7200rpm for archive and some working projects.
    I think it would be the best choice, but I want to be sure, because I don't want to have any issues with hard drives.

How about warranty? I going to use my student discount, I hope they'll announce it soon.

4. sambuev thread starter macrumors member

sambuev

5. pezasied182 macrumors 6502

The Vertex 3 is a very good SSD and is very compatible with MacBook Pros, the only problem I've ever heard people having with it is trying to enable the TRIM hack. But I understand where you're coming from.

And I honestly don't know much about MobileStor, but the Seagate Momentus XT is a good HDD, 500gb 7200rpm and only $100

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003NSBF32

When you say warranty, if you mean Apple Care, once you take out the Super Drive I think you void the warranty. As far as the Seagate HDD goes, if you buy from Amazon they have a really good return policy if it is not what you like.

6. pezasied182 macrumors 6502

Also, since you are already planning on opening up the MacBook, I would recommend not upgrading the RAM to 8gb through Apple. You can upgrade to 8gb of Ram yourself for like $90.

7. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Agreed, go ahead and subtract that $200 from your order.

8. sambuev thread starter macrumors member

sambuev

9. pezasied182 macrumors 6502

Western Digital is a good call. They aren't the best performance wise IMO, but they're generally super reliable. Looks like you found what you want, good luck OP.