Want to buy MBP, but from who? A little scared.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by majapapaya, Jul 23, 2007.

1. majapapaya macrumors member

majapapaya

First off: Can't afford the NYC Tax @ Apple Store and that MacConnection charges online. (I'll pay it later:rolleyes:)

I waited until after the WWDC to buy the new MBP, couldn't make an immediate purchase.
    Just got back and ready to buy, I also just got back on the Forums and there seems to be many issues with the new MBP.
    Read up on a few threads about shortages, delivery problems, defective laptops ect...
    Now a little nervous about buying from another seller.
    Always planned on buying from either Macmall or Amazon.
    MacMall offers a 150$ rebate & free printer and Amazon 150$ rebate.

I also found a few sellers on pricegrabber for the same price as Apple with no Tax and shipping.

Can any one recommend a trusted seller that doesn't charge TAX or shipping?

I realize the wait time for the MBP is days, if not weeks.

2. Loc macrumors newbie

3. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

4. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

They will still charge the tax. By the way, to the OP. Regardless of who does or does not charge tax, you are still legally bound to pay the tax. Most states, when you file you state taxes in the spring, will ask you about any purchases you made where you were not charged tax (online purchases etc.). Although I would imagine not everyone is honest in this category, you are still on the hook.
    I know this to be the case in Ohio and seeing that NY is even more aggressive than OH, I am assuming it to be the same.

5. Cali_Man macrumors member

Another vote for Amazon.com. They just started their MBP rebate program again for both models, and their 30 return window and customer service are fantastic.

6. majapapaya thread starter macrumors member

majapapaya

Yes Apple.com still charges tax! And yes I know I have to pay :rolleyes:. That's why in included this in my thread.
    Thanks

I'm not really worried about shipping, just the better seller. Amazon is looking good. Thanks

7. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Sorry, I missed the meaning of "I'll pay it later"

8. majapapaya thread starter macrumors member

majapapaya

I just bought from Amazon. :D
    Posted another thread asking about Macmall, to many negatives, not really free shipping ect... so I just didn't get the free printer. I'll get a printer I really want, any suggestions on a low priced all-in-one.

The waiting games afoot.

9. nightelf macrumors 6502

I also bought a MacBook Pro in Amazon.com. I ordered friday 20, and received it today with 2 days shipping!

10. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Ha ha ha ha ha ha...that's all I have to say.

11. Gandhi macrumors regular

If you don't get taxed, buy from Amazon - good service.

12. lucero1148 macrumors member

I just got my MBP 15.4", 4gb Ram, 256vram from Smalldog.com and thought they gave me a good price and the shipping was free (but then its sent to an APO address via the USPO), but it did take 3 weeksand a bit. Bottom line though if the shipping is free you still pay for it in terms of time delay.

13. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Another vote for Amazon. Check and make sure they don't charge sales tax in NY.

14. yodermk macrumors member

If you want to support a smaller business, try ExperCom. I ordered an MBP from them last year. No tax, 1 cent shipping, and a free gig of RAM. Only disadvantage is you can't configure it any way you want like with Apple, but they do have several choices.

15. spjonesi macrumors member

I had placed my order with MacMall and after reading horror stories trying to deal with their multiple rebates as well as false information about when products will ship (they basically guaranteed me that my new MBP would ship on Friday) I decided to cancel. Instead I went with Apple and will be selling the Nano that I will be doing the mail in rebate for and still getting a pretty good price overall. It also allowed me to customize further the computer with the 7200rpm drive. For me, speed is king.

If it weren't for the lack of rebate from Amazon right now, I'd have gone with them. But I only assume that the rebate will continue after they have a decent supply of MBP's as well as sell some of the old stock of the MBP's.

Steve

16. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure Amazon has a warehouse in Manhattan, so I think they do charge NY tax. You are pretty SOL on this as pretty much everything has a retail presence in NYC somewhere, and therefore, has to charge tax. Smalldog doesn't, but I've found their prices to be average to high, and you don't really get any free stuff.

17. majapapaya thread starter macrumors member

majapapaya

As the OP and stated earlier.

Amazon has never charged Tax to me, a NY resident. I have bought a lot from them and that was also the final decision to go with them.
    Their phone customer service has been outstanding, they actually call you on your phone and the service knows how to navigate the site!!!

I got a 150$ rebate, not in the mail yet because I don't have the Lappy yet, Free shipping, and NO TAX. Which I will pay later. :rolleyes:
    Due to the free shipping it will take a little longer, but I've waited this long anyway and saved a few bucks to buy a better printer.

I'll let you know when I receive my LAPPY.

18. tristan macrumors 6502a

Yeah, tax sucks, thats my biggest complaint about Apple online too. The sales tax regs in this country are just stupid. Anyway, SmallDog and PowerMax are great Mac retailers that have been around forever. I've bought a PB from each of them in the past.