Want to buy new Macbook...is there any reason to wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macgal86, Oct 26, 2008.

1. macgal86 macrumors newbie

So,

I've got an old aluminum power book G4, and it's nearing the end of its life. It's time for a new computer and I'm thinking of buying the new Macbook. However, it isn't super urgent, in that I MUST buy it right now, even though I would like to have it sooner rather than later. Is there any reason to wait a few weeks or months to buy it?

Also, when would the next revision of the Macbook be, and would the revisions be significant? Would it be worth it to wait for a revision? I basically just use the laptop for simple things, word processing, music, photos and sometimes to run some windows programs like ArcGIS, Autocad, etc..

Thoughts?

Thanks!

(also, i'm planning on buying it with 2.4 ghz, 4 gigs of ram and 320 gb hard drive)

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

The only reason to wait would be holding off until the Mark I release problems are cleared up.

3. macgal86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, what are the Mark I release problems?

Thanks

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Umm yeah what's a Mark I release problem?

My guess: it has something to do with the problems that plague many Rev A Apple products. For those with OCD it'd be a loose battery cover, crooked keys, and crooked ports on the left. For those with slightly other issues it is going to be the display. Seems there are quite a few complaints surrounding the displays ... I'm in the same camp.

5. Avon B7 macrumors member

My policy is to never touch any Rev. A product from Apple unless it costs 800 euros or less.

These machines have only existed in a laboratory setting until launch. There will be production issues, firmware issues and design issues that need to be ironed out in the coming months.

If you can wait, I'd certainly do so.

The possible advantages of waiting in this particular case (in addition to those mentioned above are a possibly lower price on the first refresh (Rev. B), a firewire port on the MacBook (unlikely though), a matte option for the screen or something to reduce reflections (in both cases probably some treatment to the glass finish) and of course the faster processor/bigger disk etc.

BTW there are two revision processes. One which is internal to Apple and used on components and one used by users which coincides with refreshed models.

6. firecrasher macrumors member

firecrasher

I'm waiting until Macworld to pick up my first Mac (!) but do you think there is a point in waiting much longer? How long does it usually take for the QC issues to fade away?

7. sjc83 macrumors 6502

sjc83

8. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502

Unless there's a major redesign to remove the glass screen then I doubt this will change.

9. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

10. macgal86 thread starter macrumors newbie

So, I guess in general/ according to Mac history, when is the revision of the Macbook likely to come out? I can certainly wait but I'd definitely like to get it by the Spring time.

11. 8theapple macrumors regular

12. Avon B7 macrumors member

The matte style finish will be harder to achieve but I'm hopeful for some treatment to reduce glare/reflections. If they go that route it will not be fingerprint friendly though. Users would have to ask PC users to put on cotton gloves when they get near as most of them have an unnatural urge to plant their greasy fingers on computer screens at the slightest opportunity.

In contrast mac users seem to be able to refrain from actually touching the screen, leaving it smudge free.

That's my experience at least.

It's worth noting that I haven't actually seen a new MacBook in the flesh yet although from what I've seen online things don't look too good.

13. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Matte/non-reflective glass exists.

14. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

You can always get an anti-glare film once they become available for the new models.

15. Avon B7 macrumors member

I have no idea but if pressed would have to say March 2009 as a candidate month.

These new MacBooks are expensive and even Apple recognises that they're taking a risk on the current pricing. If the xmas campaign falls way below expectations we might see more activity than usual on changes to the line which could go from something as simple as a price cut to something a bit meatier.

16. thinkdifferent2 macrumors newbie

thinkdifferent2

I usually wait a few weeks before buying something. I read a bunch of reviews, try it out for myself, etc. Don't order it yet though.

17. bluesTank macrumors regular

The only problem I have had is with a poorly working trackpad...it gets hung up a lot and doesn't like to work spontaneously. Along the borders it often doesn't work at all.

Do you think if they fixed this at a later point, I could return it at the store for a new one? (ie: the rev B you are all talking about)

18. sutherlandan macrumors newbie

i'd just like to point out how flawless my new Macbook is :)
    that is all.

19. Dammage macrumors newbie

I love my new Macbook. Sure the F keys are a little crooked. Someone posted a way to fix this issue. Sometimes I catch the screen adjusting the brightness very slightly. Who knows, it could just be my eyes playing tricks. I really love this computer though. It is wonderful.

20. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yeah i don't know what else is there that you can wait for... next update won't be for a while i think...so may as well just get it now IMO

21. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

As many others have said, if you care about it being absolutely perfect, then wait 2-4 weeks for Apple to clear up the typical manufacturing problems that usually occur with new products. By then, the most common problems should be worked out, and there shouldn't be all that many problems left (and the ones that would be would probably be minor and take a much longer time to fix).

22. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

I know I am going to wait for 10.6 to come so the OS can take full advantage of the new graphics.

23. azdmelani macrumors member

24. Nitrocide macrumors 6502

Nitrocide

click the apple (top left hand corner) go to system preferences > mouse and keyboard >track pad and deselect/select "ignore accidental trackpad input".

Basically the sides become unresponsive after typing to avoid you accidentally moving the pointer with the sides of your palms.

25. Aztec macrumors regular

I absolutely love my new MacBook and there's no way I'd exchange it for any other notebook. It does everything I want it to do, and very well, at that. I couldn't be happier!