Want to change to Macbook OSX, but found that it is slow compared to Windows

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blackbirdz, Feb 23, 2016.

1. blackbirdz macrumors member

Hi All, I wanted to buy a Macbook Pro, but I felt that all the programs are running slow in OSX. When I saw Apple Store, I always stopped by and played around with Macbook to get familiar with it. Here is what I found: when I open Note, Calendar, Email and other apps like Word Excel - it took times for the system to open. I can see the icons were bouncing for few seconds before open. Definitely, there is a lag, like what you would expect in a old computer - but this is the latest Macbook we're talking about.

At home, I have 2 year old Asus Laptop with Windows 7, Core i3, 4GB with SSD - opening applications like Notepad, Word Excel is just like snap, you click and it's there instantly. Considering spec wise, I expect that the macbook pro should be much faster than my asus laptop.

Is this normal or OSX is "designed" this way?

Please advise because buying Macbook Pro is an investment for me considering the price.

Thanks,

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No it is not normal. You're playing with a machine that is played with a lot. My 2008 machine opens apps in a snap and I also have an SSD.
    But if your Windows machine is working so well, why bother with a mac?

3. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

Funny that you mention an in store display model. My old 2009 macbook doesnt have a bounce when opening any application with a Samsun 830 pro SSD, and 8 GB or ram.

you might want to actually try one that hasnt been messed with hundreds of people.

As for windows, I actually enjoy windows 10, and it runs well on a fresh install on my old lenovo machine running a pentium dual core and a slow 5400rpm HDD that acts as my media server for my home.

A computer only runs well depending on the person maintaining it.

4. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Where you looking at a Macbook Pro or a retina Macbook Pro? The first one likely runs from a 5400 rpm drive, and will be slow. The latter has the fastest SSD in the market, so should be really fast.

5. laudern macrumors 6502a

My 09 macbook is better than your 2 year old Asus. Get a mac or get out.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Don't buy a Mac (or any computer) as an investment. Its a tool to get work done. Most of us here like how OS X works, there are some who like the MacBook Pro and run windows on it. Either way, its being used to serve a purpose.

There's better ways to invest your money for a better return on that investment.

7. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

This is what immediately came to my mind as well. If he was using the non-retina cMBP, then of course it's going to be dreadfully slow compared to his SSD-equipped ASUS.