Want to connect new white MacBook to Acer 22" - DVI or VGA?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by FieryFurnace, Oct 20, 2008.

1. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

Hi,

I will get my new "old" white MacBook soon and I want to connect it to my Acer AL2223W 22" (1680x1050) LCD screen.
    This Acer has 2 inputs; DVI and VGA.
    Currently my Desktop PC is connected with DVI – so the VGA on the Acer is still free (I also still have an extra VGA cable).
    Of course it would be most convenient if I just leave the PC at DVI and the MacBook at VGA – but I would be willing to connect both to DVI, if I get improved picture quality,...

Now my question:

Is the screen picture quality difference between connecting my MacBook with DVI or VGA something I have to worry about?
    Is DVI noticeably better then VGA (the Acer is not a high-end screen)?

Thanks,

FieryFurnace

2. jmb667 macrumors regular

jmb667

I've done both. I have the "previous generation" Macbook (got it in August) and I'm currently running it through a 22" Hanns-G LCD display via DVI. I've also run it via VGA. My opinion? DVI looks a little cleaner and responds faster, but for most people, either one is going to be fine. The main reason I went with DVI is because I also run an old PC through the same monitor, and it only has VGA.

Either way, I think you can't go wrong.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. EricJD macrumors regular

5. det2004 macrumors 6502

I would also use the dvi. I had a dvi adapter for my whitebook. I just wish I could use that same adapter for my new macbook, instead of having to buy another one. :(

6. FieryFurnace thread starter macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

Thanks for all the input!

I guess I then always have to switch cables, so both can use DVI. ;)

I also read the costumer reviews on store.apple.com for the miniDVI-to-DVI and mini-DVI-to-VGA adapters - are those really that easy to break and don't have a real good connection (fall out of the miniDVI alot)?

And for those who tried it - is the MacBook able to show 1680x1050 with DVI and VGA?

7. jmb667 macrumors regular

jmb667

Yup; my external display is set to 1680x1050 and it looks great; works that way via DVI or VGA.

8. angel1286 macrumors member

yes it does...i believe the macbook can support resolutions upto 1920x1200 on external displays...at least thats what mine does with my dell 24" monitor

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

1920 x 1200 is possible on the MacBook so anything less is even easier. It's best to get more RAM though when running higher resolutions. 2 GB at least.

10. FieryFurnace thread starter macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

I have ordered the miniDVI-DVI adapter with my MacBook and both should be here mid next week. Also, I already ordered 4GB from fry's.

Is there any way that I don't have to disconnect and connect the DVI cable from my PC to the MacBook whenever I want to use the MB?
    I only know of KVM switches that do those stuff, but is there any more affordable way?

11. Michaelsm macrumors newbie

post topic

Similar questions to above, but slightly different..
    I HAVE a new Macbook. I can and have connected it to my very ordinary Acer 22-inch LCD monitor (which has both VGA and DVI input ports at back) using the Apple mini-DVI/VGA adaptor. Fine, but on its own. AFTER disconnecting the DVI cable from the PC to my monitor.
    That monitor is usually part of my PC system, coupled by DVI cable to its DVI port via an NVidia fx-5500 pci card.
    What I'd like to know is this:
    Say I've got my PC running and its Desktop's displayed on the LCD monitor....
    Can I then connect my Macbook to the same monitor via the monitor's VGA port (utilising the adaptor) AT THE SAME TIME?
    What will happen?
    What should happen?
    What MIGHT happen?

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

12. jmb667 macrumors regular

jmb667

You realize of course this is like "crossing the streams" in Ghostbusters...the world will implode and life as we know it will cease to exist.

Just kidding. :) I have the exact opposite setup...DVI for my Macbook, VGA for my PC...and so far, the world hasn't ended. If I have both running for some reason, I just use the monitor's controls to switch back and forth as needed. Should be fine! :D

13. Michaelsm macrumors newbie

Macbook LCD etc.

Thanks jmb.
    Thanks for the reply and the humour: never seen Ghostbusters ...!
    I gave it a go. It's either one or the other as in plug/unplug. I can't find anything in the monitor's menu to switch display inputs, but that's no drama.
    It's not an option I NEED anyway, except for the odd time I'd like to see the Macbook stuff on the larger screen.
    I suppose that eventually it would be handy either to joggle between the displays, or to have them both as separate but interdependent windows.
    There's probably something I can buy which will achieve that, like perhaps another vid card with a vga/usb input but not needed at this stage.
    Cheers to all.
    Reply greatly appreciated.
    Mike.

14. jmb667 macrumors regular

jmb667

No problem; you could always check http://www.monoprice.com for a KVM switch (Keyboard Video Mouse) and use that if you want. They vary in price from cheap to "What, are you kidding me???".