Want to convert to iphone but stuck with tmobile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macgurlie, Dec 14, 2011.

1. macgurlie macrumors newbie

I am a current Tmobile customer and I feel the plan is affordable. I was thinking of buying an unlocked iphone instead of passing my number down and heading to ATT for a much higher monthly rate. I also have to add another line because my son will need it for communication. Best options? I read the unlocked thread about getting an unlocked iphone and using the go phone prepaid to save money-I do not quite understand what that means. Both sons have prepaid prehistoric phones (as they say) it would be nice to find a way to save $$ and still be able to communicate. I have had the same Blackberry for 2 years and Im ready :)

2. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

everyone would be so happy if iPhone were a pentaband device.

3. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Straighttalk offers unlimited voice/data/text for $45 per line no contract which works at ATT 3G speeds. The downside is you'll need to buy an unsubsidized iPhone + a refurbished straighttalk phone ($50) to activate the sim.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You're ok with being stuck on EDGE?

5. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

Not worth it at all. Never understood why people accept Edge just to use the iPhone. Way too slow and unusable.

6. macgurlie thread starter macrumors newbie

I am in a new contract with Tmobile which I have had for years on someone elses contract- needless to say they stopped paying so I departed and got my own account. I have never used ATT but have only heard bad things regarding usage with Iphone. So yes- I am under contract for about another year and a half. I think I will just get an unlocked one because I pay almost the same amount for three phones that ATT quoted me for 1 phone package. ;)

7. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Here are the prices for factory unlocked Iphones;

Iphone 4, 8gb - $549
    Iphone 4S, 16gb - $649
    Iphone 4S, 32gb - $749
    Iphone 4S, 64gb - $849

If you don't want to pay these prices, then there is another option with you can get an used Iphone 4 with lower price from your local craigslist. However, you will have to check the firmware/baseband to make sure it has the older baseband where you can unlock it with Gevey sim.

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I guess a lot of people put up with T-mo's slow EDGE data speeds in exchange to save a few bucks off their monthly bill.

9. climber20 macrumors member

You could get an unlocked 3GS straight from Apple for $375. If I were in your position, that's probably what I would do, assuming you're ok with slow data speeds.

10. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

One thing I do not understand is if your under contract for 1.5 years but all your phones are old, how is this possible?

The only time you are under contract as far as I know is if you get new hardware with a carrier, otherwise you are month to month.

I would just move to AT&T, it will cost a tab bit more but their service is much better than T-Mobile, also IMO T-Mobile will not survive much longer without a cash infusion since the AT&T deal is near dead and DT said they are not putting money into T-Mobile.

11. Boogsephine macrumors 6502

He most likely did a change of responsibility which will renew the contract when switching from one name to another. I see it happen all the time. People can still be using a Motorola RAZR V3 and not be eligible for an upgrade.

T-Mobile will still be around for quite a while. It's going to be a long time before DT actually stops funding T-Mobile, if they do. We have to hear about this stuff every week on conference calls and such.. but it will be interesting to see what happens 2 years down the road. :eek:

12. papaalex macrumors newbie

I'm also a Tmobile subscriber and currently use a 4S.. I cant really justify shifting to ATT or Verizon or even Sprint because of the elevated price everybody pays just to get their hands on the iphone.
    I'm currently on Tmo's Best plan ever at $49.99/mo + tax x2 for my wife and I. I pay around $105/month for 2 lines including my company discount. This includes unlim talk, unlim txt, and 2Gig of data. I understand the 4S can only access Tmo's EDGE network (I'm still hoping next year this will change). As far as using Siri, checking email and and scanning through mac rumors i dont see any problems with the EDGE speed. But the problem lies when you browse web pages and access maps where a lot of data needs to be downloaded that's when it takes forever!
    But.. I got Tmo's hotspot which gets Tmo's "apparent 4G " speeds. In a way i'm having my own portable wifi with me always. I pay additional $19.99 + tax on my bill (around $126 for 2 lines including company discount) for another 2gig of data. My portable hotspot is also useful for my ipad2 3g with Verizon. I discontinued using my 3g subscription with verizon since i also pay $20 a month for just 1 gig of data. My hotspot speeds are way faster than Verizon's 3g speed on the ipad and on some instances even faster than my home internet wifi speeds.
    The only downside for this hotspot on some people is you need to carry another device but its not really a big deal to me.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

We were paying about $120 per month on ATT with everything you just mentioned (although 750 shared minutes, rollover, free nights/weekends/any mobile) along with a 25% discount. So that's a $15 difference per month from what you pay, or $180 per year. That doesn't even make up for the difference in the non-subsidized price of ONE iPhone 4s through the 2 years contract...

14. papaalex macrumors newbie

That's a good monthly payment for you but 750 mins is not enough for me. I really need unlimited calling in my line of work. We tried switching to att plans but it would cost us at least $160 just for 1 line. And like with what im paying its good for 2 lines + mobile hot spot for my ipad2. It just sucks to pay full price for the phone though :mad: