Want to display photos on the wall

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by blurij, Aug 17, 2009.

1. blurij macrumors newbie

I want to set up a large wall HD LCD monitor to show iPhoto09 and iMovie09 productions I make on my MacBook Pro . PhotoVu makes a fantastic 22" digital frame for $1000, but does not have built in software to display iPhoto slideshows - it shows just the photos using its own transitions. Nor can the PhotoVu show video or music.
    For that same price I know I could buy a HD LCD monitor and a used iBook or mac mini or some multimedia hard drive.

Any recommendations as to an HD LCD monitor (around 22" to 24") that can be wall mounted and that also has good viewing angles from the sides?
    I like Samsung, but haven't found a wall - mountable one.

Are there any mac friendly multimedia drives that can store iPhoto09 and iMovie09 files/media? Or should I just use a mac mini or iBook to dedicate to the monitor? I know I have a Macbook Pro, but I don't want to dedicate my Macbook for this purpose.

Also if anyone has a PhotoVu how do you like it, and would it still be better than any of these crazy alternatives to it that I have in mind?

PhotoVu does allow wireless feeds( RSS FrameChannel) to its digital frame which is kind of neat - so you can display photos from friends or internet sites. But I figure that can also be done with an iBook - am I right?

Would very much appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thank you in advance

2. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

They actually used to make wall mounts for the previous generation White iMac. It may be a little radical for what you are thinking, but you could find an older Intel 20" or 24" White iMac and wall mount it for this purpose. It would cost less than the $1000 price range you are talking about and be an actual fully functioning computer on the wall. No need for external drives or anything. Plus, lots of people think that this model of iMac was quite the artistic show piece in and of itself.

Just a crazy idea. Feel free to ignore it.

Best of luck in your search. :)

3. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Pretty much every single HDTV can be wall mounted, as they have VESA 75 or 100 mount holes. You simply buy a bracket, remove the stand and put it up. Now, a HDTV is a 16:9 ratio rather than 16:10 of a normal LCD monitor, but that isn't going to matter one jot.

Several HDTVs also offer photo playback from built in card readers, RSS feeds etc. I know Sony offer some like this. However, I'd probably just buy a standard HDTV and a second hand Mac Mini to mount behind it, as you'd get a lot more flexibility.

4. blurij thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool crazy idea

Thanks Mscriv - that is one crazy cool idea - hadn't thought of that.
    I'm liking it more and more as I think about it.

and Peskaa thank you too for your reply.

Is there a second hand Mac retailer that either of you have had good experience with?

thanks again

5. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

I like the wall mounted 20-24 inch iMac idea. But don't get a 17 because they had screen problems.

Resellers:
    http://PowerMax.com -- seems to have good reviews
    http://wegenermedia.com -- They don't seem to have flat iMacs but I had good experience with them

Avoid macofalltrades.com they sold me an used iBook that I could tell had been opened without opening it. The tab in the battery bay was broken and once I did open it to replace a hard drive there was missing screws.

6. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Not sure if you are in the states, but I'd check your local Craigslist first. It's always worthwhile to see who may be cleaning out old stuff after an upgrade. Ebay is a pretty good option as well. This thread gives good places to find used macs. LINK

Best of luck. It really is a cool idea. :)