Want to do a clean install but want my messages to be backed up/restored?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by wannabelean, Sep 11, 2013.

1. wannabelean macrumors 6502

Anybody figured out a way to do this? My contacts and messages are only important to me. The contacts are synced to Google so no issues there.

Thanks

2. fotuwe macrumors member

3. wannabelean thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah but when you restore you cant just selectively restore only messages can you?

4. hazuki macrumors regular

exactly what i want to ask too

Currently i have itunes backup and iclous backup from ios7 beta 6

I'll update to final release as soon as it is release and restore backup from itunes backup from beta 6
    But some people told me not to restore from beta backup instead set up as new iphone
    That maybe some beta bug data on my backup

But i dont want to lost my text messages data and camera roll
    Please tell me what should i do?

Sorry for my english

5. Jakimo macrumors 6502

You can extract Messages from backups to iTunes, but without hacking I don't know of a way to restore just Messages to the iPhone.

I wouldn't mind iCloud backup including this kind of restore, associating it with AppleID. Oh well.

If anyone comes up with something, please do post..

6. Jakimo macrumors 6502

The URL is bad.

We aren't asking about extract only, but being able to restore Messages/SMS back to a normal iPhone - without restoring anything else.

I've looked around, I don't think it's been done - unless you've jailbroken.

7. jutte64 macrumors regular

Just do a back up before you restore your phone, restore from that back up, then if you are really worried about it reset all settings, and you will be good to go. That's what I did yesterday, and I haven't had any issues.

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

If you install Fresh and turn on iCloud it automatically restores:

Contacts
    Mail
    Calendar
    Don't confuse this function with the act of restoring a backup from iCloud.

9. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

Unless they have changed how iCloud works very recently Messages aren't synced like that, you have to restore the entire backup to get messages back.

10. ominx macrumors 6502

Simply entering your iCloud credentials after a fresh install and choosing "set up as a new phone" will restore your Contacts and Calendar but will NOT restore Messages or Mail Accounts (except the iCloud account). Mail Accounts are easy enough to add back but Messages is a different story.

The only app I am aware of that will extract Messages from your iPhone and transfer them back to your iPhone after a fresh install is BackupTrans. Here is the link: http://www.backuptrans.com/iphone-sms-transfer.html

11. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

So how is it that when I setup a phone as new and activated iCloud my messages were there? For the mail part I should have mentioned it was iCloud mail only.

----------

Like I responded to the other person I'm not sure but I did a clean install once and there were messages there.

12. ominx macrumors 6502

I have no idea how that could possibly work. It's just not something that iCloud syncs. iCloud does back it up, but again, syncing does not cover Messages. What iCloud does sync (ie. doesn't require a restore from backup) can be seen below:
    IMG_0001.PNG

Any other data you want back on your device will need to be restored from a backup.

13. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Alright. I'll leave at least a few text messages on my phone before I do a clean install of the retail release..will report back (if I remember lol)

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems to work fine. Had an iPhone 5 replaced a few days ago, entered iCloud information right in the Apple store as part of the activation process, and before I walked out of the store about 5 minutes later, as the phone started to restore from iCloud, I already had all the messages, contacts, recent call history, email accounts, settings, and other information like that already on the phone (while it was still working on re-downloading apps, photos, and more heavier data things).

15. ominx, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

ominx macrumors 6502

I believe you were restoring from iCloud's backup just by the fact that your apps re-downloaded. Setting up as a new phone does not do that... or any of the other things you mention such as mail accounts, phone logs, etc. I have setup every iOS 7 beta as a new phone and it has never automatically downloaded anything other than what it syncs in the iCloud settings.

Just to be clear, upon first boot we are only talking about "Set up as a new phone" and then later entering in our iCloud credentials.

This is the screen I am referring to... selecting the 1st option does not, or should not restore, i.e. "Your personal data and purchased content will appear on your device, automatically."
    Screen Shot 2013-09-11 at 3.54.17 PM.png

16. flatfoot99 Guest

I restored from icloud back up... was I not suppose to do this?

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No, that's okay. It's just not what the OP wants to do, is all.

18. flatfoot99 Guest

thanks

19. bgro macrumors 6502a

This is correct. If you do a fresh install, set up as a new phone, then turn on iCloud, your messages WILL NOT be restored. If you "restore from icloud backup" during the install process, then your messages will be restored (along with your apps, settings, etc) but then you are essentially not performing a fresh install.

20. coolio93 macrumors 6502

Ibackupbot can selectively restore ONLY your messages if you want to setup as a new iphone.

21. 5t3f4n macrumors regular

Some of these tools that claim they can do this seem a bit fishy.
    Can anyone vouch for an app that's both stable and trustworthy?

22. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

iCloud > storage and backup >manage storage >click your latest backup > untick the bits you do not want backup / restore.

23. scottish macrumors 6502a

I can't see messages on the list on my iPad. This sounded like a good solution. Unless it does appear on iPhone?

24. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

Its not fine grained like that. A restore will put everything back on your phone. That is simply for not backing up certain 3rd party apps and camera roll (because of the size). I cant see how it would help a corruption issue since the apps are sandboxed.