Want to do a restore on my 4S, start over from new, but want to keep contacts & Notes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Texxy, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Texxy macrumors 6502

Texxy

Hey guys I Want to do a restore on my 4S, start over from new, but want to keep contacts & Notes. I mean how do I go about doing this? All my Contacts are now on iCloud and my notes as well. :confused:

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I believe you can just restore as new (not from an iCloud backup) but sign in with the same iCloud ID. That should restore your Contacts and Notes.

3. FilipH macrumors regular

Set it up as a new phone. After done all that, just fill in the necessary login (icloud) details in your settings. Contacts and notes will re-appear. Done it myself yesterday when i received the Iphone 4S. Easy.

4. Texxy thread starter macrumors 6502

Texxy

But doesn't restoring from iCloud want to put EVERYTHING back on like Apps as well?:confused:

5. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Don't restore from iCloud, restore as new. Then, log in to iCloud under Settings>iCloud and that should achieve what you want.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Syncing contacts / notes back from iCloud is not the same as restoring from the iCloud backup

7. dojoman macrumors 65816

Just login to your existing iCloud account after setting your iPhone as new. iCloud should sync back all your contacts and notes to your phone.

8. Texxy thread starter macrumors 6502

Texxy

I am super noob here can you walk me through exactly where I would go and what I would do?

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

See post #5 above.

10. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

From what it seems like you want to do, the most important thing is that when you get to the screen in the attached image below, select "Set up as new iPhone". Otherwise, just follow the prompts, including logging in with your Apple ID. Once your phone is up and running, go to Settings>iCloud and if you're not already signed in, sign in and enable Contacts and Notes (and everything else, if you want to) and that should do it.

Attached Files:

11. Texxy thread starter macrumors 6502

Texxy

I will be doing this tonight thank you, will report back soon. Hopefully its what I am asking for.