Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NateEssex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2008
I want to run Boot Camp and play Star Wars:The Old Republic. I'm either going to get a MBP or a PC laptop. I would prefer a MBP, but I want to make sure the current models can handle graphics intensive games.

Anyone have any first hand experience? I would appreciate the input and what the computer cost you. I do have a friend who has a 13" MBP who claims he can run Batman Arkham City with no problems, but I'm not sure that's a fair comparison to SW:TOR. Thanks!

NateEssex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

iThinkergoiMac said:
Have you looked at the system requirements? A 4 year-old MBP could play that...

Yes, I actually have a 4 year old MBP and I'm looking for a better gaming experience--more than 10 fps on lowest settings--when in battlegrounds. Sadly, it drops to 2 fps at times. I don't really think the specs they "require" are accurate.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Yes, I actually have a 4 year old MBP and I'm looking for a better gaming experience--more than 10 fps on lowest settings--when in battlegrounds. Sadly, it drops to 2 fps at times. I don't really think the specs they "require" are accurate.

Are you playing in Windows or Mac OS (is there even a version for Mac)? Your GPU is probably the limiting factor for this game.

Either way, the current MBPs are serious overkill for that game, you'll have no issues at all.

NateEssex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2008
Are you playing in Windows or Mac OS (is there even a version for Mac)? Your GPU is probably the limiting factor for this game.

Either way, the current MBPs are serious overkill for that game, you'll have no issues at all.
Yes, it's PC only. So, will the 13" MBP play It, and current games fine? Or, do I need the 15" MBP with dedicated video card?

sth

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
The old world
The 13" will not be able to get decent framerates.

Even my 2010 17" MBP struggles from time to time at 1280x800 with lowest settings. This is with a GeForce 330M, a much faster graphics chip than what is in the current 13" MacBook Pro.

On the other hand, the current 15" and 17" models have way faster graphics chips than the 2010 generation, so you should be fine with a 2011 15" MBP.

NateEssex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2008
The 13" will not be able to get decent framerates.

Even my 2010 17" MBP struggles from time to time at 1280x800 with lowest settings. This is with a GeForce 330M, a much faster graphics chip than what is in the current 13" MacBook Pro.

On the other hand, the current 15" and 17" models have way faster graphics chips than the 2010 generation, so you should be fine with a 2011 15" MBP.

So, I'm guessing the 1gig video card upgrade is worth it? Damn, then it gets so pricey... I was considering a PC, but I've never had much luck with them :(

sth

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
The old world
So, I'm guessing the 1gig video card upgrade is worth it? Damn, then it gets so pricey... I was considering a PC, but I've never had much luck with them :(
I don't know what the performance difference between the 6750M and the 6770M is, but both are a lot faster than my "old" 330M (and insanely fast compared to the cruddy Intel chip in the 13" model).

[edit]: Looks like the 6770M upgrade won't make a big difference in speed (same chip, just slightly different clock speeds and the difference in VRAM). If I was in the market for a new notebook right now, I'd just get the base 15" model. I wouldn't consider 1gb VRAM a "must have".

Last edited:

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland

You could build a gaming desktop for $1000. Or look into Alienware laptops.

If gaming is not the main purpose of the MBP, the low end 15'' model will be just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.