Want to get rid of a third display that I don't have

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Procrastinator, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Procrastinator macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

The monitor on the far right is the one in question. I have a dual monitor set up with the other two. I don't know why that third one exists (I don't have a third monitor, TV, or anything else hooked up); it's annoying since windows seem to randomly appear over there and I have to "fish" them out. All I know is that that display is called "Television". Any ideas? I'm running Tiger, fully updated, on a PowerMac G5.

Cheers.

2. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

Presumably you've clicked 'detect displays' in there?

3. Procrastinator thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, multiple times; nothing has ever changed.

4. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

Have you tried deleting com.apple.windowserver.plist from /Library/Preferences?

Edit: You'd need to restart afterwards or go to terminal and type 'killall Finder'.

5. Procrastinator thread starter macrumors newbie

No cigar after doing all of what you said (including rebooting and the command) The zombie display is still there.

Edit: If it helps, I can send you the output from System Profiler.

6. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

Makes me wonder if it's hardware related. What happens if you remove the second display? Is it still there?

It's a tower I see. Have you tried reseating the graphics card?

7. Procrastinator thread starter macrumors newbie

Way ahead of you. :p I've tried multiple monitor combos (different monitors, only one monitor, and so on) and that "Television" display always remains.

Edit: I'll try messing with the graphics card here in a bit. While I'm at it I'll hit the system with some canned air.

8. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

Don't know whether I posted the bit about reseating the the graphics card after you read that?

Edit: It appears that you saw my edit and edited in reply which I missed. :-/ If resetting the plist didn't crack it and messing around with monitors didn't then I'd definitely be suspicious of the graphics card. Has it always been like this or has it happened recently.

9. Procrastinator thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for taking so long, the dusting took a lot longer than I thought it would. Also, yes, I did reseat the graphics card. As of booting it back up the situation is the same.

I'm pretty sure it's always been like this. I forgot to mention it before but it used to be a video-editing system long ago.

10. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Could be a piece of software from a video in/out capture card of some sort that is still hanging about?

Reinstall the OS? Probably would be a benefit anyway...

11. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Zap the PRAM. Cmd+Opt+P+R at boot.

You could also try resetting the SMU, which may be a button on your motherboard or a power-button procedure, depending on your exact model.

12. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

Has it got another card installed with a TV out? If not, having a driver still in there as was mentioned before sounds like a possibility, as somebody else mentioned.