Want to give a friend my old iPhone, data plan question

miamialley

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Orange County, California
I have an iPhone 4 that I can now get unlocked with AT&T because I completed the contract. My friend wants a smartphone, but is unsure if he can afford the monthly bill. If I give him my iPhone 4, what would be the best way for him to use it, but have a cheap bill. I'm assuming he can do this off contract. Any help?

I know he can get a free iPhone with some contracts, but the advantage in me giving him this phone is that maybe he can be off contract and have a smaller data plan.

Juicy111

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2011
Use it with straight talk. No unlock needed , as its a AT&T Iphone 4.

Unlimited Talk, Text, and Data. Uses AT&T's towers.

45$/month

A cheaper option is T-mobile, 30$/month for 100 minutes unlimited text+data.. my friend has t-mobile and the coverage isnt as good

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
If it's unlocked, he can use t-mobile. If not, pre-paid is his best option. There are plenty of plans where he can just get voice and texts; data can be added as needed.
You'll need to remind him to turn off cellular data, so he doesn't run up a data bill.
If I give him my iPhone 4, what would be the best way for him to use it, but have a cheap bill.

ANMA dojo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
I have an iPhone 4 that I can now get unlocked with AT&T because I completed the contract. My friend wants a smartphone, but is unsure if he can afford the monthly bill. If I give him my iPhone 4, what would be the best way for him to use it, but have a cheap bill. I'm assuming he can do this off contract. Any help?

I know he can get a free iPhone with some contracts, but the advantage in me giving him this phone is that maybe he can be off contract and have a smaller data plan.
one way he can lower your bill is to have no data altogether (if that is acceptible for him). my mom has been without a data plan on AT&T for over 2 years now, initially on my old 3G and currently on my old iphone 4.

1) I put her sim into a non-smartphone, called AT&T, then requested they put a "Data Block" on her line.

2) I popped her sim card into the iphone 3G --> no data! to be sure the phone didn't try to reach out for data, I disabled cellular data from within the phone too. AT&T supposedly scans their networks for smartphones without data plans, but they haven't caught us yet in 2+ years.

3) for the 3G -> 4, we just cut her existing sim into a microsim without hassle.