Want to give a friend my old iPhone, data plan question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by miamialley, Sep 24, 2012.

1. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I have an iPhone 4 that I can now get unlocked with AT&T because I completed the contract. My friend wants a smartphone, but is unsure if he can afford the monthly bill. If I give him my iPhone 4, what would be the best way for him to use it, but have a cheap bill. I'm assuming he can do this off contract. Any help?

I know he can get a free iPhone with some contracts, but the advantage in me giving him this phone is that maybe he can be off contract and have a smaller data plan.

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

Minute and data plans are the same both on and off contract

3. Juicy111 macrumors member

Use it with straight talk. No unlock needed , as its a AT&T Iphone 4.

Unlimited Talk, Text, and Data. Uses AT&T's towers.

45$/month

A cheaper option is T-mobile, 30$/month for 100 minutes unlimited text+data.. my friend has t-mobile and the coverage isnt as good

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If it's unlocked, he can use t-mobile. If not, pre-paid is his best option. There are plenty of plans where he can just get voice and texts; data can be added as needed.
    You'll need to remind him to turn off cellular data, so he doesn't run up a data bill.

5. ANMA dojo macrumors regular

one way he can lower your bill is to have no data altogether (if that is acceptible for him). my mom has been without a data plan on AT&T for over 2 years now, initially on my old 3G and currently on my old iphone 4.

1) I put her sim into a non-smartphone, called AT&T, then requested they put a "Data Block" on her line.

2) I popped her sim card into the iphone 3G --> no data! to be sure the phone didn't try to reach out for data, I disabled cellular data from within the phone too. AT&T supposedly scans their networks for smartphones without data plans, but they haven't caught us yet in 2+ years.

3) for the 3G -> 4, we just cut her existing sim into a microsim without hassle.

6. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think Straight Talk may be good for him. I'll look into it more.