Want to iTunes on PC & Laptop to mirror each other?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dino F, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

I have my normal iTunes media on my PC (which is where I sync my iPhone 4 from) but I now want to set up iTunes on my laptop so that it mirrors the content on my PC (in effect - as a back up iTunes in case my pc fails!)

I thought I could do this via Sharing my media from my iTunes pc to my laptop, however, after setting this up, the music that was shared to the laptop, is all jumbled up?! I had the music in Playlists on my pc but now it's been shared to the laptop, the Playlists themselves, weren't shared - it just placed all the music in one lonnnng Playlist?!! Also - none of my apps were shared?

Can someone advise what's the best way of doing this?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. MRiOS macrumors regular

there's 2 options I see that might work

1: If your using Home sharing, which it sounds like you are, then there should be an arrow next to the home sharing section in the iTunes sidebar, that should expand to show playlists.

2. if you still want to access your media, when not connected to the same network as your desktop PC, then you would have to copy the contents of the iTunes Music folder on your desktop to the corresponding folder of the Laptop that is also using iTunes.

#2 is not the most space friendly option if you have a large media library, but it is the most foolproof to have another physical backup. With the inclusion of the iCloud features, keeping the 2 up to date with each other is fairly easy, unless you import most of your media and not buy it from the iTMS.