Want to measure throughput of external hdd to Mac mini

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Restinbeast, May 27, 2010.

1. Restinbeast macrumors member

Hi all,

I have a drobo pro connected via firewire to a mac mini fall 09 running snow leopard and acting as a htpc/media server. I have been having the typical problems with getting 1080p material to run as smoothly as I'd Ike and have been going through the list of possible culprits. I use plex and encode the material in mkv with a bit rate range between about 18-40 Mbps and i am just fearing that the drobo pro is having a hard time keeping up.

Believe me i know the numerous problems i could be having and i have been exploring them all for several months. I think it is a combination of things and this might be one. I have a 4 tb graid FireWire external hdd that i think runs slightly smoother but i want to see some actual transfer rate numbers before i start investing in a new array.

I also have a 2010 i7 mbp with 8 gb ram and 256 ssd on the way and if that baby doesn't run the movies smoothly then i will have to assume i have an encoding issue or there is some flaw in snowleopard. Also in case anyone was wondering i have hardware acceleration enabled in plex.

Soooo what can i use to measure these transfer rates that will run in Osx?