Wan't to play your music at parties? Get ready to pay for it!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AP_piano295, Jun 3, 2012.

1. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

2. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

3. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Did i mention the law acts retroactively?

4. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    SO how does that work then? Dance police attend every wedding to see if any moves are busted? :D

This is good too.

Because 10's of millions of dollars just aren't enough.

5. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I don't understand this at all. It seems like "double dipping" to me because at most venues the music played has already been "paid for". I'm a DJ and when I'm hired to do an event the royalties have already been paid for "public use" and "business purpose" through the specialty music companies I buy my music from. The same thing goes for hotels, restaurants, and other public places where music is played. That music is generally purchased specially for public use whether it be a one time fee or a routine subscription service.

6. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

This really must be a joke. It's just not possible.

7. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Yes, that sounds right. Venues have to pay separate fees for Tvs, radios, Djs, bands and even music on hold.

8. vega07 macrumors 65816

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Yeh they can go **** themselves if they send me a bill.

10. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

yes. The article says there will be inspectors to ensure that the rules are followed. Oh, Canada.

11. samiwas macrumors 65816

Capitalism, baby! Obviously, the market demanded this.

12. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Honestly guys if you're listening to music which you haven't personally purchased how is that any different from stealing?

The industry deserves compensation, I just hope they change the law so you aren't allowed to listen to your friends music without paying a fee.

13. bjm2660 macrumors 6502

Retro-active laws? That would be unconstitutional in America.

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The record companies are a drowning man, flailing at the waves and trying to clutch at anyone near them. Better to let them fall into unconsciousness and then drag them to shore.

I can't see how this is enforceable or even meaningful except as a minute money grab.

15. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Unconstitutional unless some major industries somehow convince US lawmakers that retro-active laws are in this case perfectly reasonable.

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well if you read the article it is for Canada not the US. Rules are different there.

This does not apply to the US.

17. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

What are you talking about AP? It's not stealing to listen to music that has been purchased by a company for public use. When I'm walking through the mall and I hear a song being played I'm not stealing. When i'm at a restaurant and listening to music while I eat I'm not stealing. When I go to a club and dance to music I'm not stealing. The article used the example of a wedding. Hotels and reception halls that provide music pay a fee to be able to use that music in public spaces and they recoup that fee in what they charge for the use of their facility. If the venue doesn't provide music then the bride and groom must hire a DJ or a Band who will have also already paid for the public use of the music they play. Like the facility, they recoup their investment with their fee for services rendered. In none of these situations is anyone stealing music and in none of these situations should a bride and groom be charged an additional fee for royalties because those fees have already been paid.

The only thing I can see this policy applying to would be the "do it yourself" wedding where a bride and groom bring in their own music on an iPod or computer and play it at their event. However, in my experience, that is extremely rare. Generally, people who want music or dancing at an event pay to have a professional there to provide it.

18. samiwas macrumors 65816

Wait...what? Are you actually serious? Was the initial post serious? I thought for sure it was a joke.

Are you seriously saying that if I am riding in a friend's car, and they are playing music, that I am stealing?

[​IMG]

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, unless it's the radio, which has a separate pay structure for playing music.

Only the owner of the CD, mp3, tape(???) is licensed to listen to it.

That's the general direction they are going in anyway. ;)

:rolleyes:

20. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Of course Canadians would get stuck with this fee.
    What DONT we have taxes on?!?!?!?!

mini rant: Oh yes the HST is so good because we pay 1 percent *less* oh wait no because now they are combined?!?! I have a big social function and putting money in the economy and now I need to pay taxes for freaking music? And they wonder why the middle class is shrinking. :mad:
    Complete morons run governments -______-

21. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

How is this any different from stealing your listening to music which you haven't paid for.

How is this any different than piracy?

----------

I'm well aware, I would also be very surprised if the Canadian constitution didn't have some protection against law acting retroactively.

The thing about law is it's only un-constitutional if the Supreme Court says it's unconstitutional.

The right palm greasing, the right leverage, and next thing you know it turns out that in this particular case protection against retroactive law doesn't apply.

----------

It would also apply to any party I've ever thrown at my house. Or any time I've ever shown a friend a song I like, after all I've never paid public entertainment fees.

What right do I have to allow others to listen to my music?

22. Happybunny macrumors 68000

What is wrong with Canada, I thought they were the sane one. :D

It aught to make for some interesting court cases.

This idea is so strange, I think that the people who thought of it were smoking something. ;)

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Fear not, Friend.

Many flags have been run-up the pole of late, about matters such as this.

They were all torn to shreds by dint of massive rejection. :cool:

24. bjm2660 macrumors 6502

I am aware. I should have added "Only in Canada…"

25. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Something about retroactive/ex post facto laws makes me extremely uncomfortable.