Want to reformat my Mac Mini so I can resell it. Is CMD-R enough?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by gundam83, Jul 17, 2013.

1. gundam83 macrumors newbie

I want to reformat my Mac Mini back to its factory fresh state. I did the CMD-R on bootup, and selected to reinstall Mountain Lion via internet connection. The install goes smoothly and now it is asking me to create an account. I'd rather not do that and just let the new owner do it, but I was wondering if there was anything I missed? My mini came with a 500gb platter drive, and I ran OSX off of an external USB 3.0 SSD drive. So the only thing on the platter drive would have been some music and movies. Nothing that I'm worried about getting into the wrong hands.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If that's the screen it's at, then you're ready to sell it.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Should be enough. Unless you sell it to someone who decides they want to dig into that drive and find files that weren't quite erased, you'll be okay.

4. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

When you booted into the recovery, did you launch Disk Utility and format the drive before reinstalling? If you didn't then any files that were there before would still be there.

5. gundam83 thread starter macrumors newbie

No I didn't. It's not a big deal, but I guess I'll reformat the drive anyways.

6. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

boot with your external ssd. call up disk utility. then erase with secure option 7 pass. on the second pass exit the job. then format then do a cmd -r.

writing the disk with 1 full pass of zeros is pretty much impossible to find old data.

takes a while 2 do = 2 hours if your drive was a 500gb 4 hours if it was a 1tb

Attached Files: