Want to replace my iPhone, but I'm not sure if i can..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mattdo93, Jan 8, 2012.

1. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

Hello all,

Recently I traded my white iPhone 4s for a black one off Craigslist. It's a step up for me because this phone has Applecare+ whereas mine didn't. However, there are a bunch of hairlike scratches on the back. I'm guessing the previous owner didn't take off the case a few times to clean the backside from dust and stuff.

Anyways, I want to get a refurbished replacement at the Apple store, but I don't kow what to say. Will they let me get a replacement because I have Applecare+? If not, then what should I say so that I do?

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

AppleCare+ has 2 $49 cosmetic/accidental damage replacements you can get. You should just have to ask for it.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It will cost you $50. But if you show them the scratches they should be willing to swap it for you. Be aware that it will consume one of the two swaps you get under apple care.

Would be cheaper to just buy an OEM backplate and replace that, IMO.

4. mattdo93 thread starter macrumors 6502

mattdo93

Dang, so it won't be free? I see people get replacements free of charge all the time for issues more serious like water damage.

5. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

You want the whole phone replaced because you have a couple of scratches on the back?

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It could be, but it's not required to be. With Apple Care + having been launched, I have heard that Apple has beena bit more strict with their replacements. FWIW water damage was NEVER something they HAD to just give you a replacement for free of charge.

----------

That's what he said...

7. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Usually the back panel can be replaced easily, even if you take it to the Genius bar and you just want to swap the back panel they can do it for $29.00.

8. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

If you are using a case then I wouldn't worry about it. Using up one of your $50 Applecare+ replacements for hairline scratches is kinda dumb.

9. andyx3x macrumors 65816

OP, make sure it's Applecare + that the previous owner of the phone bought.

I bought a 4S off of Craigslist last weekend and was excited to find out that the warranty was extended another year. Before I bought the phone I called Apple support to verify the warranty but found out that the original owner just purchased the regular Applecare and not Applecare +.

It's better than nothing but just make sure before you go in.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why would it be free?
    Its Apples fault you or the previous owner scratched up the iphone?:rolleyes: