Want to Revert Back to SL or Lion From ML, on MBP w/o Losing Anything from My HDD?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by HappyDude20, Mar 2, 2012.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Okay so I have ML on my MBP here at University. I have ML but it's way too buggy and many applications dont work, including my scanner.

I want to go back to SL or Lion. I have the original disc of SL and obviously purchased Lion from the Mac app store. Here's the situation though, that I dont want to lose anything on my 500GB internal HD. I'm utilizing 300GB's and can't lose anything considering my backup external HD is at home back with the folks; with no way of me being able to retrieve it till July.

Wondering whats the best solution for this.

Furthermore, I would hope I have the option of choosing either SL or Lion and not lose any of my data; hoping the decision is a matter of what I like; such as Spaces & Expose from SL, or iCloud and Photo Stream from Lion.

Any help is appreciated.

2. GibMcFragger macrumors newbie

GibMcFragger

I am not going to tell you that you shouldn't be running a beta OS on a machine you need to rely on. Ok, I just did...

That said, unfortunately there is no way to downgrade without formatting your hard drive. I hope you have all your files backed up..

3. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I do have it backed up. Just do not have the external HD on me here.

4. Paradoxally macrumors 65816

If, and only if, you can get a spare Time Machine drive to backup to (even if it's borrowed, you only need it for a day tops), then go ahead and then format and restore.

If not, don't downgrade because that will unfortunately implicate the complete formatting of your primary Mac partition (which, if it's the only partition on your HDD, it will mean you lose everything).