Want to run two versions of OS X on two separate HDDs in one Mac Pro

Discussion in 'macOS' started by caspartheghost, Apr 25, 2010.

1. caspartheghost macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a Mac Pro that I use for music sequencing, but the version of Pro Tools that I have will only run on a partly-updated version of Tiger. This means I can't run the latest iTunes, Firefox and so on.

What I'd like to do is install a second hard drive, on which I'll put Snow Leopard, so I can use contemporary apps. This means I can keep my Pro Tools installation safe for work too. I'll switch which drive I'm booting with using System Preferences.

Has anyone tried anything like this, and if so, what was the outcome? Will it work?

Thanks for any advice!

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Yes, it will work. You know that you can choose which OS to boot with by powering on while holding down the Option(Alt) key?

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yeah, that's right, it should work. Not even need for two HDs, just partition the drive with Disk Utility

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

The first gen Mac Pros came with Tiger preinstalled. If that's the model you have, you should be fine.

However, if you have a newer model that shipped with Leopard, you're probably not going to be able to install Tiger. As a general rule, you can't run an older version of OS X than the version your Mac shipped with.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I think he means that he wants to install Snow Leopard as not all apps work in Tiger but he already has Tiger

6. Charlie.naylor macrumors newbie

I have two osx installs on my macbook pro with an optibay, it works fine, just set up the partitions on the second drive in tiger, then boot the snow leopard installer and say where you want to install to.

so atm i have 2 drives:
    drive1: partition for osx
    Drive2: Another partition for osx
    bootcamp
    Osx installer.

Its quite handy having a copy of the installer on my computer all the time, not sure about its integrety but im sure its fine :3