Want to sell iPhone 4...what phone to use until 5 comes out?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anthony T, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

I want to sell my iPhone 4 this week, or next. I don't have a spare AT&T phone to use in the meantime though...can I still buy a Go Phone and use that until the 5 comes out? I don't think the iPhone 4's SIM card will go in a Go Phone though, so will they give me one if I go into the AT&T store?

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I admire you, there is no way I can't be with out my iPhone 4.

I will not have any good answer for your question.

3. LoveSteve macrumors member

dont know what is good other than iphone... but i can tell you to avoid the Samsung Galaxy S II.... the build quality is terrible .. .even worse than some $100 phones... like a cheap toy

4. Anthony T thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just want a cheap piece of crap to use for a couple of week until the iPhone 5 comes out.

5. tomtom101 macrumors regular

I quite liked the samsung s2... The screen size is amazing, but i feel its the android operating system that lets it down!!

And i broke my iPhone there a month ago and i decided to wait it out until the iphone 5! My solution,

https://www.vodafone.ie/df/shop/Dir...utm_campaign=Nokia Core Manufacturer Campaign

the cheapest phone available on my carrier!! Its a pain to use, hopefully the iphone 5 is worth the tourture of not having internet at my finger tips!

6. tann macrumors 68000

Do you use a micro sim adapter then?

7. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

What I did sold my iPhone 4 4 months ago bought a brand new cheap samsung galaxy mini and loving it. Now waiting on the iPhone 5 and the galaxy note :D

8. tomtom101 macrumors regular

Yep, got one from the carrier when i got the micro sim in the first place!

9. tann macrumors 68000

Oh sweet :D

So you're going to get the iPhone and the Note?! :p

10. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

For the iPhone 5 yea that's for sure I can't miss that since I've been having all iPhones since the first gen. As of the Note I might it just depends on the price. If it cost as much as an iPad 2 no thanx lol. On the other hand I'm bidding on couple HP veers 4G which I think they are not bad at all for a price tag of $100 :D

11. Anthony T thread starter macrumors 6502a

If I buy a Go Phone to use in the meantime, will they give me a SIM card for it is what I am asking.

12. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Most likely, yes. It will probably be a different phone number though. Since you wouldn't be able to put a Go Phone on your current monthly plan. Just my guess, though.

13. LoveSteve macrumors member

most people just got the samsung phone because they are CHEAP!!! not because they are good.. .so sad

14. tomtom101 macrumors regular

15. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Well as long it's running Android I'm good to good. No issue with it so far so good. I rather having a cheap samsung android phone than a top of the line w7 phone or nokia.

16. james92se macrumors 6502a

Yes you can use a POS phone with a SIM card adapter. You can also pop the iPhone 4 SIM right into a Go Phone - I've tested just yesterday in my mom's Go Phone.

I've tested the iPhone 4 SIM in several non-smart phones and all work just fine to call/text. I have some Chinese phone I bought off eBay that is supposed to have 3G but I can't get the iPhone 4 SIM to connect/work for data in the Chinese phone. Texting and call work just fine, though. I'm sure the settings are all wrong for data, and the Engrish menus are so un-navigable that it's virtually impossible to figure out how to change the settings.

I'm in the same boat as you. I actually was planning on using my original iPhone, but I managed to mess up the SIM reader on the logic board the other day, so now I'll be stuck using my old SE T610 or the said Chinese phone.

17. Anthony T thread starter macrumors 6502a

So then basically the person who buys my iPhone will have to get their own micro SIM from AT&T? Will they give them one?

18. james92se macrumors 6502a

Well, I don't think AT&T can or would "re-program" a SIM card for somebody. Nonetheless, I wouldn't and never have included my SIM card with any cell phone I've ever sold. Additionally, no used cell phones I've ever bought came with the previous owners SIM card.

You're just selling the phone. Buyers understand getting service and all that that entails (SIM card, etc) is their responsibility.

19. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Correct and yes. My wife and I sold our iPhone 4s in anticipation of the iPhone 5 and just made sure to tell potential buyers that they would have to get their own micro SIM (and of course make sure they were aware that a regular SIM would not work).

We replaced our iPhone 4s with iPhone 3GSs in the meantime.

20. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

I just sold my iPhone today via craigslist and now I'm using an old Pantech Link which I used in between my last iPhone-to-iPhone purchase. I just hope the next month or however long goes by fast cause this phone is just... no...

21. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

I guess I'm the only one who happens to have old phones lying in the junk drawer. The only downside to downgrading to one of them in emergency is their batteries not holding a charge like they used to, but they still function like phones once I pop in my SIM.

22. mouse. macrumors newbie

I sold my iPhone 3GS two weeks ago... and have been using an old blackberry curve... with no internet, no music, no nothing I. am. dying. without my iPhone.. I can't tell you how many times a day I reach for it and realize its not there :(
    I know I would not have the money for the iPhone 5 if I had not of sold it, but god I wish I hadn't done it so early.

23. james92se macrumors 6502a

I've got several old phones myself. My oldest working is my SE T610 that I have used several times over the past few years in between iPhones/repairs. I have a few Nokia 5110's (man, remember how popular those were?) but can't get any of them to power on.

24. Anthony T thread starter macrumors 6502a

Any recommendations on something I can get for cheap that should hold me over a month or so?

25. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I got an HP Veer for a mere $50 (contract free) when HP was doing their liquidation. Will hold me over just fine until the iPhone 5 comes :)