Want to shop at Target or other retailers, but use Apple Pay? Here's a workaround...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JoeTomasone, Oct 26, 2014.

1. JoeTomasone macrumors 6502

Target doesn't accept Apple Pay in their stores - likely due to the lack of readers and/or the MCX requirement that prohibits them from accepting other mobile payments. However, until and unless they extricate themselves from MCX and enable NFC payments, there is a workaround that will allow you to shop there and still use Apple Pay.

The secret? You can buy Target Gift Cards through their iOS App.

Just go into the Target app and do a search for "Target Gift Gard". Select the card style and dollar amount, and delivery method (mail, email, or SMS), and pay with Apple Pay. I bought a card with SMS delivery, which took 5 minutes or so to show up as a text message. A quick click on the URL in the text allowed me to add the card to my account, and Target can scan the corresponding bar code at the register.

Interestingly, they also sell other retailer's gift cards in a similar fashion, including for other MCX members like Wendy's and Darden Restaurants (Texas Roadhouse, Olive Garden, etc) - making this a practical way to allow you to patronize these establishments while still enjoying the security of Apple Pay.

I bought a Starbucks card with email delivery. If I can link that to the card I already have in the Starbucks app/Passbook, I will likely use that method to reload my account until/unless they support Apple Pay natively in the future.

2. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

How is this an workaround? At that point I would rather just swipe my card...

3. JoeTomasone thread starter macrumors 6502

And you most certainly can. For me, I want to minimize how much my card numbers are out there. This is one way to do that. It's a workaround, not a solution.

4. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

The down side is paying more than you want for a gift card.

I already have a Starbucks app and a card that I can reload via my iPhone. I'm not seeing any value add here.

----------

Either way, you are supplying your card number to Target. You swipe or you buy their gift card. I'm puzzled. How is that minimizing anything?

5. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

6. CoilTap macrumors regular

What Apple is going to have to do is make some kind of Bluetooth LE (or NFC) enabled card to which you can transmit a one-time use token for swiping. That will flip the bird to all of these retailers trying to opt out. Sure it's less convenient than vanilla Apple Pay, but retailers would be unable to block it, at which time they might as well re-enable NFC.

7. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

I rather just swipe my Red Target card and get a 5% discount.

----------

Swiping the card is just 1 step as opposed to the several steps the other way.

I personally would not harass Target or any other retailer who doesn't accept Apple Pay, but that is just me.

It is up to Apple to make Apply Pay work, not the consumer.

8. mhdena macrumors 6502

Not only is this not good "workaround" but if you make a return you're stuck with the return on a gift card.

Apple Pay, Google Pay, secure chip card pay, will all be available at some point.

These apple pay threads are hilarious, is it teenagers running out to buy big macs to use their phone to pay or sensible/responsible adults?

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You've missed that the OP is buying the gift card with Apple Pay. Therefore, no actual card number is supplied.

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you are going to that much trouble why not just go down to your bank and get these fancy pieces of paper called cash? They keep Target from getting your credit card number too.

11. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

No one has mentioned that you're not really paying with Apple Pay at the checkout, you're just using passbook. This is just a pain in the ass.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Yeah, was going to say exactly this. I am unsure how Apple Pay being in existence got so many people (at least on here) foaming at the mouth that they are no longer willing to pay with any other form of payment.

----------

Never used it other than starbucks. Is it somehow different? Starbucks it's a breeze.

13. JoeTomasone thread starter macrumors 6502

Simple; the security that Apple Pay affords eliminates the risk you take when swiping your card.

14. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

No it's the same as at Starbucks. I was just eluding to the fact that this isn't really a workaround to use Apple Pay at Target. You've been able to shop like this for the past, what, 2 years?

15. JoeTomasone thread starter macrumors 6502

More like the past week since you couldn't buy a Target gift card with Apple Pay before then.

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

True, it's a bit overkill. If you use the method in the OP 99% of the time but that 1% of the time you used your physical card to buy an ice cream from a truck at a carnival because it didn't take Apple Pay and they happened to use a skimmer, you're screwed. Fortunately, credit card companies are getting significantly better at point of sale fraud prevention even if you do get screwed so it's overkill.

17. Jessem1133 macrumors 6502

18. JoeTomasone thread starter macrumors 6502

When my card was replaced due to exposure in the Target hack, I had a heck of a time changing everything that was using that card - bills paid from it, mostly. I haven't actually lost any money yet -- that I am aware of -- but hack after hack after hack has proven that the retailers simply cannot be trusted to secure their networks. How many times will I have to replace my credit card due to each new breach? How long will I have to monitor my credit card statements and credit reports like a hawk?

In using Apple Pay, you are eliminating that risk for that transaction. So using Apple Pay is inherently a good thing, no matter what company is behind it, or if you are a fanboy or not. It simply makes sense.

Now, I shop at Target quite a bit, and every time I swipe my card there (or use chip & pin in the future), I am potentially exposing my card yet again.

If I use the Target iOS app and use Apple Pay to buy a Target Gift Card, then I eliminate that risk for that payment. I can use the gift card, and my exposure would be limited to potentially losing the value of that card. However, if I know I am going to spend $100 or so, I can simply order a $100 card and use it nearly immediately. Is it perfect? Heck no. Does it limit my potential exposure? Heck yeah.

19. Jessem1133 macrumors 6502

Use cash.

20. KuchiKopi macrumors regular

KuchiKopi

Why are people so worried about their stupid credit card numbers getting stolen? Its a credit card. You won't be held liable. This 'workaround' is just a major waste of time and money. :rolleyes:

21. JoeTomasone thread starter macrumors 6502

Not always a viable option, for several reasons; but I will be using cash for those low dollar items that are sole-sourced from an MCX merchant.

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Victims of identity theft (involving fraudulent checks) have to deal with much, much worse so you're exaggerating.

23. JoeTomasone thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I'm not exaggerating, but you are right; they do have much more to deal with. I don't see how this is relevant, however.

24. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I understand that. But it's been around for what, a week? No need for the pitchforks yet IMO. Certainly not to the point ofnthe collective freak out we are seeing here. People should spend time writing a politely worded letter to the establishments that they are so upset with. Hell even starting a petition would be more effective than coming here and whining up a storm.

Meanwhile, cash is still an option, just a less convenient one.

----------

In sure he was referring to paying with a card. Using Apple pay to buy the card is as secure as cash, which was always an option for those worried about card info getting stolen that don't want to always hit the ATM before a target trip.

25. JoeTomasone thread starter macrumors 6502

I actually think that it's contractual; the MCX merchants are only allowed to accept CurrentC for some exclusive period (2 years, apparently) by some reports. CVS and Rite-Aid found out essentially by accident that NFC payments were going through, and MCX dropped the hammer.

It will be interesting to see if any members (re-)enable NFC when that exclusivity period ends. I think that the brouhaha could very well play into their business decisions down the road.

Perhaps I missed that nuance. But if I were going to pay for the Target card with cash, why wouldn't I just pay for the merchandise in cash?