Want to start playing golf but need clubs...advice?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by WillMak, Apr 6, 2007.

1. WillMak macrumors 6502a

Hey I want to start playing golf but I don't know anything about clubs. What would be a good (I prefer used) brand for beginers and a good price for them?

2. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

What I would suggest is to go down to your local golf club and speak to someone there. They should be able to go through with you everything that you need. Try and go to 2 / 3 different clubs and get a general idea of what is on offer. Some professional golfers will see you coming a mile off and try and milk you for everything you have. So if you go and speak to a few you should find out if any are taking you for a ride.

For an absolute beginner you really don't need anything specific. As long as there is a grip, shaft and club face to fit the ball with you will be OK.

If you want any specific advice in the future just drop me a PM.

Thanks.

3. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Stay away from pro shops that are at golf courses! Even local golf stores are often rip-offs. Find someone local who will build you a custom measured set of imitation clubs. There's only a few companies that actually make golf club parts, so you can get, for example, a Nike golf club without the swoosh for 1/3 of the price. (It's like RAM - a few actual manufacturers and a ton of places that throw their sticker on it and mark it up!)

Someone who builds these as a side business or hobby will take you to a driving range or indoor simulator type facility and measure your swing with different types of clubs. They will recommend brands and styles for you, then order the parts, cut the shafts to match your size, wrap the grips with the material you choose and in the length that matches your grip, and put on the heads of that match the brand/style of the clubs you pick all for about half what you would pay for an off the rack set.

This is the only way to get golf clubs. My father in law does this for people, and never has complaints. They get a brand new, custom fit clubs for far less than they would have paid even for a used set. They get the same performance of the high end brands without paying for the name, etc. Take the time to look someone like this up and rent or borrow clubs in the meantime, you won't be sorry.

4. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

My advice - don't even think about it - golf sucks....

Just kidding. I have been playing for over 15 years and really enjoy.

I have had a few different sets of clubs over time but found steel shafts better than carbon or composite - I have a fast swing and non-steel tended to flex too much for me. You may want to swing away with a couple of different shafts to see what feels good for you.

I have never owned solid cast clubs. I found these too heavy and if you don't strike the ball in the center of the club face the shots go all over the place.

Also, you really don't ned to have a full matching set as a beginner. My first set comprised a 3,5,7,9 irons, wedge, putter and a 3 wood (and it was actually made of wood too!) I have a full set of irons now but there are a couple of clubs I don't use often - my 6 iron actually feels discriminated against I use it so infrequently. So don't think you need to go out and get a bag full of clubs

I have kept with a driver I got about 6 years ago. I spent a little more money on my driver because I liked the weight, length and head size. It just felt good, but I did not spend a lot on a wood while I was beginning.

If you get a set of used clubs you may want to get the grips replaced. I don't think it is good to start out with clubs with worn grips - you want to focus on your swing and not on letting the club go flying down the fairway - the ball can go flying down the fairway and I am sure you will achieve this !

And keep your head down...

5. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Buy a used set at a reputable golf outlet that's not on a golfcourse. There's a lot of first timers that buy the top notch clubs and then hardly use them and then either consign or sell them at a steep loss to a golf shop. You can't go wrong with a used Callaway, King Cobra, or Tommy Armour set and used they are pretty reasonable. I wouldn't buy new unless I played damned near every week.

6. WillMak thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think you guys think I know more than I do...steel? carbon? graphite? Customization? Do I need to get specific golf clubs for my height?

I found a used full set of clubs for 30 dollars off ebay...this seems really cheap....should I get them?

7. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Here's hoping you don't get smacked for bumping, but...

I would highly recommend the pro shop at the golf course. They could probably set you up with a beginner set that woudn't be that spendy, and you'll be much happier with that than a set you pick up and they don't fit you. Been there, done that. You might even negotiate some lessons with the pruchase

Chuckling now - you'll need balls, lots of them! But, take note where you lose them, as there will probably be lots of other ones there too! I have a friend that hasn't bought balls for years, cause he knows now where to look to re-stock on the course. :) :)

Enjoy the game! The only person you have to beat is the one in your head.

8. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I'm just starting golf myself and I found a private owner who was selling and bought it off them. Spent $100 Aus dollars on them for a full set. Sure they are used for I'm just a beginner