Want to Switch from AT&T to Verizon for LTE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dissdnt, Sep 6, 2012.

1. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

I'm sure this has been covered but I figured i'd ask.

I've been with AT&T since the first iPhone and it seems that they aren't rolling out any LTE in my area in the foreseeable future.

So my question is when the iPhone 5 is announced and you can order does Apple give you the ability to switch carriers and provide your current phone number and send a cancel notice to your carrier etc?

2. bogatyr macrumors 65816

You can sign up for new service with a new phone at Apple, then call Verizon and port the number to this new line anytime after. Verizon uses info from your ATT account to contact ATT, cancel the line and port the number. If you're still under contract, your last ATT bill will have the ETF on it.

3. WRIGHTRACING macrumors regular

VZW does this...Just tell them you wanna switch and keep your number...

Oh and don't forget AT&T has more 4G coverage than anyone:rolleyes:

4. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

I'm pretty sure you can switch your phone number while you are buying the phone, just go through and do a fake iPhone 4S order. It gives you the option to transfer your wireless number from another carrier.

5. dissdnt thread starter macrumors 65816

dissdnt

6. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Well, the truth is Verizon's 3G network is horrible compared to AT&T's 3G or 3G+ (4G non LTE). This is the trade off. If you don't have LTE on Verizon their data network is much worse then AT&T's plus you cannot use the data while on the phone with Verizon's 3G. Just something to consider. Both have their benefits and drawbacks. I can see as high as 8mb down on AT&T's 4G non LTE. You are lucky to get close to 1mb down on Verizon 3G.

7. Dkorda macrumors 6502

AT&T will have rapid expansion of LTE once iPhone 5 is out.. They'll have to.

8. golfesv macrumors member

They better otherwise I might switch to Verizon. AT&T could be hurt by this new iphone big time.

9. mattwallace24 macrumors regular

Nice call...AT&T launched 7 new markets launched today and 47 new markets to launch by the end of 2012.

10. Dkorda macrumors 6502

I can't stand AT&T, except by $30 unlimited iPad plan.. But they better get their LTE network lined up real quick. Verizon's is awesome, and it's all friggen over now.

11. dissdnt thread starter macrumors 65816

dissdnt

I believe LTE technology you can do both data and voice at the same time. Either way it's gonna be faster then 3G on AT&T and waiting them rolling out even 3G in my area took 5 years, I can't imagine LTE. So later AT&T.

12. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

Not really. ATT's HSPA+ is just about as fast as Verizons's LTE. In my area, HSPA+ I am seeing over 20mps in some areas. LTE on ATT is over 40Mps. With ATT's much better back haul on it's towers, something Verizon doesn't have. On average ATT's average speeds are much faster than Verizons.

ATT's LTE is much, much faster than Verizons. Almost twice as fast on average. You will not see a performance drop going from 10mps on HSPA+ on ATT to LTE on their network.

Verizon on the other hand, going from Verizons's 3G to LTE the difference is drastic. Verizon's average speeds on 3G is under 1mps!

At some point LTE will be all over on both networks. Than ATT will have a huge advantage due to their more robust 3G network.

Like the Sprint users before you , don't make the same mistake. The grass isn't greener on the other side all the time.

13. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

What area do you live in? I have an iPad 3 on Verizon and a 4S on ATT and my iPad is normally at least 3 times faster than my phone.

14. Thrones macrumors newbie

You're either lying, or misinformed. First of all, AT&T does not have a HSPA+ device that can do over 21mbps, so you're not seeing "over 20mbps" on HSPA+ on their network. Second, they only have 14.4Mbps HSPA+ rolled out at this time. I can tell you have never used verizons LTE if you really believe there is no difference from AT&T's HSPA+. Verizon has just as much backhaul, if not more than AT&T at their towers which is why they can roll out as fast as they are.

Verizon also owns more 700mhz spectrum than AT&T, this enables them to run 10mhz bandwith in all areas of rollout, where in some ares you will be on AT&T.

Finally, verizon will have LTE completely covering existing 3G footprint by 2013, guess what AT&T promises by then? complete HSPA+ coverage of their 3G footprint, which is still not as widespread as verizon.

Come on man, check your facts before starting argument with such statements.

15. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes.

Buy the VZW phone as "new account." Do not actively cancel your ATT account. When you get your VZW phone, activate via iTunes and then call VZW and tell them you want to port your ATT # to your new iPhone. This will take anywhere from a hour to a day. Once that happens your ATT acct will be automatically canceled and your VZW iPhone will ring to your #, not the one originally assigned to the phone.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That doesn't mean it will surpass VZW's network. In Boston where I live coverage is nearly the same but when I travel to New Hampshire, ATT coverage is non existent (at least in the white mountains region of the state) This has been the case as long as I can remember it. My point is they've not improved network coverage in that state for years why should I expect them to consider their infrastructure as a priority when they haven't done so in years

17. iphone3gnj macrumors member

I posted this as a separate thread, but I'm hoping someone can help me.

I'm in Austin, and I've been with AT&T since the iPhone 3G. Over the past 6-9 months, AT&T's 3G data speeds have been atrocious. I feel like I've been on dial up. Some parts of town are a little faster but for the most part it sucks big time. Add the frequent dropped calls, and I'm pissed.

I've been thinking about switching to Verizon. Yes I'll lose my unlimited plan, but with capping it's not really unlimited. Plus I don't use near 4GB, which is what I would get with Verizon. One challenge is that Verizon is going to be $30 more per month. I'm on AT&T's 450 minute plan with over 3000 roll over minutes plus free mobile to mobile, texting, and nights. I don't think Verizon's unlimited calling will be much of a benefit.

So my question is specifically for the Austin market. My concern is that data problems may be an issue when a flood of iPhone 5's hit the market. I'm also concerned that LTE may not do anything to fix dropped calls since it's most likely a tower positioning and density issue. Can someone chime in on their experience with Verizon's LTE service and AT&T's LTE service in this area from a data perspective and phone perspective (obviously a non iPhone if we are talking LTE for voice calls)? Is it worth the extra $30 a month?

Thanks in advance.

18. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Just like their rapid expansion of quality 3G service after the 3G in 2008? To date, their GSM 3G is still less coverage than Verizon's 3G. It took them years to even get close to Verizon's coverage.

Can't tell if this is sarcastic or not. Verizon is already in ~ 400 cities. AT&T is in ~ 50.

And you're nuts if you think Verizon is sitting around waiting for AT&T to play catch up.

I'll have what you're smoking! AT&T supports 14.4 Mbps HSPDA+. 21 Mbps HSPDA+ is only recently starting to be rolled out in certain cities, and many devices don't support it anyways.

I'm sure LTE on AT&T is acceptable for LTE, but since it's only in so few cities, that's a moot point for most people.

I don't see any real disparities in LTE speeds, it's certainly based on market ... which Verizon trumps by default since it's widely available in 8 times more markets.

Please post these places of where you are seeing AT&T LTE DOUBLING the speeds of Verizon's LTE. This is unfounded and inaccurate.

Who CARES about Verizon's 3G speeds. As far as I am concerned as a user, I am only ever in cities, so I am always on LTE in that case. I guess if you live in the middle of no where, where there is no LTE, you have a different case. But LTE on Verizon covers over 2/3 of Americans. I'm not aware that AT&T's HSPDA+ 14.4 Mbps even covers 2/3 of Americans.

+1 Exactly.

Verizon's network hasn't collapsed like AT&T's has. If you switch to Verizon, in a place where they have solid coverage and speeds now, that won't change in a month.

Assuming Austin is a large enough market, I think you'll be fine. I would google for research, this thread isn't really appropriate.

19. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

I've got AT&T "4G" on my 4S and I'm lucky if I get 1.5 Down. I'm switching to Verizon for a better signal and LTE, which AT&T does not currently offer here.

I spoke to a Verizon rep and was told that I could preorder the new iPhone and they would start an account with a temporary number. My billing would not begin until I activated the phone. Then I could also port my number over.

20. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

you must not live in a good HSPA+ area. I get 6 down with mine on att

21. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

I understand the sentiment, thinking of doing the same. LTE is much more widespread on Verizon than AT&T at this time. That won't always be the case, AT&T is rolling it out faster now too, but Verizon will have the upper hand for the forseeable future.

I'm getting a pretty decent deal w/ Big Blue right now though and Verizon will cost more to a lot more depending on my plan choices etc.

HSPA+ on AT&T is plenty fast for what I do. Hell EDGE (yes, we still have it in some parts around here) does the job most of the time as well. Do I really want to pay a whole bunch more for that extra speed? Not really.

Decisions, decisions.

22. spades1412 macrumors 6502

23. LoloBond macrumors 6502

My suggestion would be to open a new account with Verizon and pre-order the phone. Test the service for at least 5 days then (if you're happy) call Verzion to port your numbers. I didn't do this and even thought I live in NY when I got to my house (East Islip) I had 0-1 signal 0 internet... everywhere else the phone worked fine but my house... now Im with Att. Great HSPA+ coverage everywhere I go. Good luck!

24. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Please stop trying to convince people that Edge (2G) gets the job done. That's a joke.

AT&T just opened 7 LTE markets. Verizon just opened 34. So your argument for "AT&T is opening more than Verizon and catching up" is wrong.

AT&T plans to open 47 before 2013, a few months out. That's nice, considering Verizon just opened to only 13 less than that amount in a much shorter time period.

Verizon: 371
    AT&T: 53

Verizon has SEVEN
    times as many markets.

Verizon is opening more markets a month than AT&T is, too. Even if AT&T doubled their rate to that of Verizon, they would barely be caught up in 2 years.

Once again, AT&T is always behind.

25. nostresshere macrumors 68030

We all assume you have no further contact obligations with ATT.