Want to Switch my iPhone From My PC to My New Mac w/o a Headache - Help Please

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tardman91, Dec 5, 2009.

1. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Just got a new MacBook Pro and I want to switch the syncing of my iPhone from my old PC to my new Mac. Is there anything special that I need to do first with de-authorizing it from the PC, the files on it, etc., or just plug it in and let iTunes do it's magic? Thanks!

2. phishindsn macrumors regular

Well once you have all your data from the windows machine, the iPhone (once connected) will want you to reformat it for use on the mac. So in that case, you would have to do a whole new re-sync. Other than that it should be easy.

3. tardman91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Well my iPhone is jailbroken and unlocked, so if I transfer from my PC to my mac I'll have to basically start from scratch again? What a pain.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The iPhone surely does not need to be reformatted -- it doesn't even have a "format" function!

Just make sure you copy all your music, videos, etc, from your pc to your mac, plug in your iPhone and sync. It'll give you a message to the effect that all your music on your iphone would be erased and replaced with music from the new computer. Say "ok," and wait for it to sync.

5. tardman91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tardman91

That's for a whole iTunes library.I'm more interested in just the iPhone stuff. I'm just going to use home sharng to copy only the selected music files I want over. I'm going to keep the iPod on the pc. I have an extensive music collection that I do t want hoging all my HD space on my MacBook pro. So I guess I'll copy over the iTunes stuff I want and then just connect my phone to the mac and wait for it to do it's thing.