Want to turn my rMBP into a Wifi hotspot to share internet to my LG G3 - Can't figure out how

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by geokarbou, Jan 20, 2017.

1. geokarbou macrumors member

So, I have a rMPB 13' late 2015 and an LG G3. I want to know if it's possible to turn the MBP into a hotspot so that I can share the internet with my phone.

The thing is that the MPB is connected to the internet via Wifi, no ethernet available. The problem is that the LG G3 has really crappy Wifi reception, I can barely connect and it drops all the time whereas the MBP has full signal (I don't know what Wifi card it has, but damn no other smartphone, tablet or Windows laptop gets full signal in the same room!).

So I was thinking to tether the G3 with the MBP and share the internet over bluetooth. Remember ethernet is not available so my only option (I assume) is to share MBP's wifi connection directly via bluetooth to the phone.

I found this guide: https://cloudlink.soasta.com/t5/Tou...onnection-with-a-Mobile-Device-via/ta-p/42692

I've done all the steps but alas, the G3 doesn't connect to the internet. Is there a way? Am I doing something wrong? Is there maybe an app I don't know?

EDIT: I do have checked the "Internet Access" option in the bluetooth settings on my phone

Help guys, I am about to throw my phone at the wall!

P.S.: Running Sierra latest version.