iPhone Want to upgrade from iOS 4.3.2 to a 5.X - Questions...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Gmas, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Gmas macrumors member

So my gf has an iPhone 4 that is still on iOS 4.3.2 - I've been hesitant about upgrading because everything works well for her and I know some updates cause issues. Also, she really doesn't care about a new iOS as long as everything "just works". Now she's finally running into issues where apps require a newer iOS version.

So I want to upgrade to a 5.X version of iOS as I've read many versions of 6 have wifi issues and that's huge for her.

Is the only way to do this via jailbreaking? With Pwnage or Redsn0w I guess? I'm on a Mac. What's the best method?

Thanks for any assistance.

2. MagWhiz macrumors member

It's the iP4 jailbroken? If it is, she probably has the 5.x SHSH blobs stored on Cydia. Search on Google for TinyUmbrella and download the 5.1.3 IPSW.

However, if you don't mind losing the jailbreak, just update to iOS6. It's easier. There aren't Wifi issues, that's bs.

3. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

yes, use tinyumbrelly to ave blobs from cydia, then if 5.0.1, or 5.1.1 are there, you can update. there is no 5.1.3...

4. MagWhiz macrumors member

You're right, I messed up the FW numbers, sorry.

5. Gmas thread starter macrumors member

Her iPhone 4 isn't jailbroken already. It's as stock as they come.

Essentially I just want to upgrade her to a more current firmware, however in reading, it seemed like 5.X were more stable than 6.X's. She values stability and functioning wifi/battery life over everything so wanted to do whatever I could to maintain those.

6. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

If it was never jailbroken and no blobs were manually saved your only option is 6.1.3 which is very stable.

Connect it to itunes and hit restore

7. honam1021 macrumors regular

Before you go to 6.1.3 use something like iFaith to save the 4.3 blobs first so if you have issues with iOS 6 you can rollback to 4.x