Want to upgrade to IPhone 6s, best route take

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ceviche Lover, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Ceviche Lover macrumors regular

I want to upgrade from my 6 to a 6s and want the ability to upgrade every year:

-Currently Own Iphone 6 Space Gray(128GB)

-Currently on 2nd year of Verizon contract

-Verizon messed up my contract and somehow I am eligible for a line upgrade NOW(without having to wait until next year)

-Want to keep Verizon

Anyone have any recommendations? Should I just go for the upgrade since I will still be using Verizon and sell off the IPhone 6?

Thanks

2. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

3. aneftp macrumors 68040

U need to tell us the specific Verizon plan

Are you on grandfathers tiered voice plan?

Are u on more share everything plan?

Are u eligible for full $199/299 subsidized pricing under old plan?

4. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

See if you can do the device payment program with Verizon. After you pay off 50% of the device (after 30 days), you can upgrade at anytime.

I know last year when I was in my 2 year contract, they allowed me to upgrade via the Edge (now called Device Payment) program. After about a year when I paid 60% off I had the ability to upgrade to another phone.

5. gabo864 macrumors 6502a

gabo864

THIS!!! Take advantage of this while they're still offering it. Just know that if next year when the iPhone 7 comes out you want to upgrade and you've paid 50% of the phone cost, in order to upgrade you have to give back your iPhone 6s to Verizon.

6. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

As others have stated the Verizon payment program seems like your best bet. If you like getting a new phone every year, the payment plans seem to be the best unless you purchase outright then sell the previous model each time you get a new one.

7. aneftp macrumors 68040

A 64gb iPhone 6 (msrp $750 circa 2014) was easily selling for $425-450 at time of 6S launch and shortly afterwards

A 64gb iPhone 6 Plus (msrp $850 circa 2014) was easily selling for $500-550 and short afterwards.

So you do end up giving up $50-100 for easy access to Verizon trade in.

Not too bad. Beats ATT NEXT 12 (make 20 installments but option to trade in at 12 months). Other going with att 18/24 have to pony up more cash if they want to trade in at 12 months where u end up paying 60% of payments roughly

8. digitalcuriosity macrumors regular

I rented my iPhone6 from Sprint at $25 a Month, can buy it for $200 or upgrade to a new phone at end of my 2 yr contract. Or for an extra $15 a Month get a new phone anytime there is a newer one you want.
    Myself i like waiting a year to see how well the new phones are holding up and working. The iPhone6 has been very solid and has worked good for users. Thats important to me.

9. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

You probably can't get out of your Verizon contract. What you could do is by a new phone via the Apple 12 month program. Sell the Verizon phone. Keep paying the contract till it's over, using the new phone as replacement.

This divorces the phone from the carrier. Then upgrade via Apple every year in future. And once Verizon contract is over, it would be bringing your own phone to Verizon. You do take a hit at first. But you did sign a contract.

I plan on doing this with my AT&T next phone. I will pay off phone and sell it. Starting up with Apple's program. I also have to pay off next phone but again I signed a contract. And if I want to separate phone from service provider at some point I will take a hit.

10. Ceviche Lover thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys, I think getting a new phone via the Apple upgrade program and selling my IPhone6 is probably my best bet.