Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timtherector

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
England
I'm only in month 4 of switching from PC to Mac. I'm using an iMac, a MacBook and an iPhone.

I like Address Book, but have a practical problem that I can't solve. I want to use the "prefix" field so that I can mailmerge for Christmas cards etc and have people's titles on the resulting envelopes. BUT this means that when I sync my iPhone my phone contacts all appear with titles "Mr", "Mrs", "Dr", "The Rev'd", etc, which is messy, annoying, and takes up screen space.

Is there a way I can keep the 'prefix' field on Address Book, but hide it from my iPhone when I sync? Or any other bright ideas to help?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I wanted to do something similar. Turns out I could not. Actually, I believe in Outlook you had some way to "check" off what you wanted to sync. Not so much in the Address Book app on the Mac.

Ever thought of exporting your addresses to a CSV file (excel) all set for mail merge and then just not use the prefixes? I know it's another silly step but I did it for mailers myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.