Want to use external monitor *only*

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by werdnagreb, May 29, 2008.

1. werdnagreb macrumors newbie

Hi,

Just bought a macbook pro and a nice 25 inch external monitor. I like it except for a few quirks.

When I am using the external monitor, I want I want to use that monitor *only*. I want the laptop screen to turn off and I want all the open windows to appear in the external monitor (ie- I don't want an extended desktop).

How can I do this? (apologies if this is a very simple thing, but I am flummoxed)

thanks,
    andrew

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Close the MBP to put it to sleep after you plug it in, then wake it up.

I believe the MBP behaves the same way as the PowerBooks and will work in closed. Of course, since it doesn't get as much heat release through the keyboard, keep an eye on the temp. Like don't do full SMP folding while it is closed.

3. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

I use my MB this way 80% of the time, I keep it elevated with a couple of wooden "feet" for air circulation under it and haven't had any heat issues.

4. werdnagreb thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help everyone, but it's not working for me. I read the page that Burgess07 linked to and followed the instructions.

My mac went to sleep, but I couldn't turn it back on again. Odd...

5. Roquefort macrumors member

In Step 5, were you able to see your desktop (a mirror of your MacBook Pro display) on the external monitor, before you closed the lid?

Does your MBP wake from sleep in other circumstances, i.e., when not using an external monitor?

6. werdnagreb thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. The external monitor is working fine. I see my desktop both in the laptop and the desktop (mirroring works fine). When I shut the lid, the MBP went to sleep and the only way to wake it was to open it up.

7. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Do you have an external mouse and keyboard? If not, you need to get some, so that you can use the MacBook Pro with the lid shut

8. werdnagreb thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup. Got them.

I'm sure it's something really silly that I'm not doing, but I just can't figure it out.

9. Kan-O-Z macrumors 6502

I know it sounds stupid but you must have your power plugged in. I have a suspicion that you are not doing that. Also, if you have a wireless keyboard/mouse, make sure to enable 'allow blue tooth device to wake this computer'

:)

Kan-O-Z

10. werdnagreb thread starter macrumors newbie

Power is plugged in and these are not blue tooth. :)

11. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

How weird, you hit the keyboard or mouse and it doesn't wake up? I know that it takes a few seconds between when you close the lid until you can wake it up again but that is weird.

12. werdnagreb thread starter macrumors newbie

Got it working! Thanks everyone for your help.

The problem was that the MBP wasn't properly sleeping. For some reason, it's taking 30 seconds or so for the machine to get to sleep. Apparently, if the machine isn't completely asleep, then it is not possible to wake it up from the external keyboard.

13. Dadianne macrumors newbie

it worked for me

Hi I just joined today to find out how if I could close my laptop and work from the external (Samsung) monitor. Checking this thread, I found the answer and it works - closing the laptop, and hitting the (external) keyboard started the monitor. So thanks for sharing your info. I'm a happy!
    :D

14. havfra macrumors newbie

Had problems following the steps at the link because the MacBook would not wake from sleep while activating external mouse/keyboard.
    After I tried several things it still didn't work. Then I made it go to sleep and just opened it for about 1 sec and closed it again. Then it worked :D
    And I could also open the Macbook without anything being displayed on it and the MacBook-keyboard worked as well.
    Go :apple: <3

15. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Place your Mac in clamshell mode and voila! I use this all the time and I love it.

Habitus :apple:

16. robj macrumors regular

I don't know why there isn't a key or key combination to do this without having to close and one the computer. All my PC laptop has this function :mad:

I was searching an application to do this, but I couldn't find anything useful :(

17. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Using an external monitor with a MBP in clamshell mode definitely works. I do it 95% of the time with a Dell 30" using displayport. But it is very flakey and can be trying to get it working properly at times. Sometimes the MBP won't wake up, or it does but refuses to display video on any display (including its own), forcing a middle finger salute and brute force reboot. Basically, sleep is broken on Mac OS, at least when used in conjunction with ext monitors and clamshell mode. I wish Apple would fix it.