Want to use Factory Unlocked iPhone 5 on Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FullMetalx117, Feb 12, 2013.

1. FullMetalx117 macrumors regular

Hey everyone
    I'm trying to buy an iPhone to use on the verizon network. I currently have a 4S and if I upgrade ill lose my unlimited data so I'm forced to buy phones at unsubsidized prices. I see some decent $550 factory unlocked phones on Craigslist. I'm thinking about purchasing one but was wondering if factory unlocked phones work on verizon. I know the 4S had so,e issues but was hoping that wasn't the case for the iPhone which I can put a verizon sim in. Anyone know?

Thanks in advance

2. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

The factory unlocked iPhone 5 will only work on GSM HSPA+ networks, so you're out of luck. You'll need a Verizon iPhone 5.

3. MacLovin78 macrumors regular

Are you sure you want to upgrade now? There is a better camera and larger screen on the 5 but other than that the 4S can do everything the 5 can do. With speculation of a 5S in June you may want to consider waiting until then and perhaps you will qualify for an upgrade then.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cannot.
    You need to find a verizon iphone 5. Only ones sold for verizon will work and activate on their network. If you get a factory unlocked GSM iphone 5 you will not be able to use it on verizon.
    Also make sure if you do find a verizon iphone 5 it doesnt have a bad ESN or you wont be able to activate it at all with them.

5. FullMetalx117 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh I see... Thanks guys. This is the one time I wished I didn't have verizon. So many less options...

----------

Yeah I would wait but the problem is that is I do upgrade I lose unlimited. From now on ill have to buy phones at full price. The iPhone 5 price has come down to around $500 used though.

6. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

You could still buy a used Verizon iPhone 5. All Verizon iPhone 5s come SIM unlocked so you could bring it to a GSM HSPA+ carrier in the future if you ditched Verizon. They will also likely hold their value better than a Sprint or AT&T iPhone 5 for when you upgrade.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

8. Cass05 macrumors newbie

Question about factory unlock FROM verizon

Can I still use a factory unlocked phone from verizon, if my provider is verizon? For instance if I bought the phone off eBay and it was factory unlocked from verizon. Could I set it back up to it being verizon network if phone has clean ESN, etc.?

9. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

you left out the most important part= LTE. That will be the biggest net gain from a 4S to a 5.

answering the OP: make sure you look for specifically a Verizon iPhone 5 on craigslist. It will be SIM unlocked, but you need a verizon one for the CDMA radio.